finch question

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hello!

I recently added two more feeders to my backyard, and I am now getting a nice little variety of birds to the yard. Nothing exotic, but more than the usual sparrows and mourning doves (which I like too). I came home today to find a bird on one of my feeders, and when I went outside to get a better look it never flew away. In fact, I could've had it on my hand, it just sat there. My dog scared it and it also didn't fly real well, and it acted like it was a juvenile. But isn't this the wrong time of year for that? It is now up in the tree and is just staying there. No other birds around. I looked in my bird ID book I got for christmas, and I believe it is a house finch. Any ideas about this little guy?

Kim

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Possibly sick?

Best wash your hands!

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Hi Kim, Sounds exactly right that its a House Finch and one with the Eye Disease (most prevelant to them) that is contagious They eventually loose all sight and die.

The only thing to do is to clean your feeders as much as possible.

Heres some more info about it.

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/science-stories/past-stories/house-finch-disease/

Pelle

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my....that does not sound good at all. I will clean the feeders first thing tomorrow. I didn't notice any eye problems looking at it....perhaps it is already blind?

Marlton, NJ

It usually starts in 1 eye then goes to the other. It can look like a crusty buildup around the eye that eventually builds up so much it blinds them. Some can look like they have a film over their eye.

If you read the article I posted the link to its not the eye disease that kills them its the things that happen because of not being able to fly, feed etc.
Be sure to read that whole page its very informative.

Its always best to thorougly wash your hands after touching feeders not so much because of this but because of everything else there is out there. :-)

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for all of the info. I guess it saw its way back into the tree so it must not be blind. I feel bad for it though.

I just added a suet feeder and a platform feeder with whole peanuts, BOSS, and fruit. No one has really checked them out yet but I do hope some birds find it. I want to use my book some more!

Marlton, NJ

I'm sure the other birds will be around soon; it takes time for them to get accustomed to new things (feeders).

Marlton, NJ

Keep us posted on the progress!

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok.....my bird returned tonight. I got a closer look at it without touching it. Neither of its eyes look crusty or cloudy or glassy. And it can see me just fine. But it cannot fly very well, it has trouble getting up high, just like a baby would. I feel sorry for it, if it comes into my backyard my dog keeps chasing it. Poor thing. Could it be something other than the eye disease?

Marlton, NJ

Hi Blue, Heres another link; I didn't have a chance to read all of it. Be sure to read the question about what other diseases affect House Finch and also click on the map link to see how far the disease spread.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/hofi/hofifaqs.html

If it isn't conjuctivitis than theres any number of things it could be.

I hope he gets better, be sure to keep checking his eyes as that might come out soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.