Bird cam today

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Today was a bit better. Cloudy, calm, no visators.
For the first time I was able to get several pics of Carolina Wrens.
I got a little carried away.

8 pics total.

1. Male cardinal, worrying about a squirrel.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

2 of 8. Carolina Wren.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

3 of 8. Another

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

4 of 8. Another.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

5 of 8. Last Wren.

Thumbnail by trois
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

How do they like sharing their food with those frogs?

;-)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

6 of 8. Female Redwing.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

No problem. The frogs are nice.

7 of 8. If looks could kill. Grackle tries to intimidate female redwing.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

8 of 8. What's a guy to do?

Thumbnail by trois
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics trois! Love seeing all the detail on the female Red-wing Blackbird.!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, pell. They are a good looking bird.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Number 7 is the best! Nice face!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Grandmaggie! He was giving it his best shot, but still was ignored.

Saint Paul, MN

Trois, what is the reddish-brown powder on the frog/food? Is it cayenne pepper to keep the squirrels away?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

You are correct. It works well for a while. They will soon get used to it, so I will not use it for a few days. Then it will work again for a few days.

Melbourne, FL

Great shots.....super close-ups.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, gardenpom. That is the first good look I have had of a Carolina Wren.

Marlton, NJ

They are great little birds trois; I hope they visit your feeder more often.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Actually, there are several of them that I see every day. They live under my porch. This is the first time I have seen one that was still, and on my feeder. They are quick.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I like picture number one the best. Great expression on the cardinals face. Made me laugh.
I have always marveled at how a stiff beak set into a feathery skull can give expression. But the birds seem to really show their feelings anyway.
Love the bird cam. Great way to take wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Ooo, great pics! I like 4 & 7 best!!! I would really like to get one of these Trail Cameras!

I have started to notice too that they do have different expressions conveyed in photos!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

So how do they show expression. Is it just our human brain suggesting it? I don't think so. Just with the tilt of a head and the eyes, they are getting their feeling across.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks cpartschick and nanny_56.
I think birds show a lot of expression, usually very clearly.
I have not seen good results from a trail camera on small things like birds. It would require a very sensitive sensor and no wind blowing plant leaves around. I would like to see some taken that way.

trois

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Another great series of shots trois! I can't pick a favorite but love the #1 thru #8!! They all look great and I agree that birds have expressions on the face and in their eyes!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you, dellrose. Their expressions when dealing with each other remind me of people without the manners.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL, you got that right.
I don't think a trail camera would work either. Mine uses heat and motion together so you don't get tree branches setting it off, but does a chickadee produce enough heat? I think probably not. Also the cameras when activated need a few seconds to turn on and take the pictures. I think it is 3-4 seconds. Far too long for birds.
Trois, you have a great bird cam setup. Thanks for sharing it with us and telling us how you get the great pictures.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Trois,

Wow - wow - wow!!!!
I like 2 of 8 with the georgeous little wren. I have never seen a more clearer shot than that.
What is your secret? or setup? what kind of camera? does it take the picture through your window?

Very nice. Please continue to share your great photos.

Paul

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

The camera is a Lumix 8 mp. I place it on a tripod about 5 or 6 feet from the feeder, prefocus on a part of the feeder, watch it on a security camera with a monitor above my computer monitor. I use a home-made long wire remote control, and fire the shutter when the birds are in the correct position. This prevents them from seeing me, so they act more natural. I use a fill flash to prevent the birds from appearing too dark.

trois

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

cpartschick, one second would be too long. Those guys are quick. Even with my finger on the button I miss a few.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I bet. Trail cameras are good for animals. But not our birdies. You have a great system.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That would be a cool setup! Sorry I used the wrong phrase calling it a trail camera in my first post.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

No problem. With birds, human reaction on when to push the button makes it more user intensive, but necessary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.