Soft spot on bulb, any tips?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I just planted about 25 Amaryllis bulbs. (bought more when I forgot I already had some on the way.) Anyway, I waited longer than I should have to pot them up and now a couple have soft spots and where the skin "slips" away a bit. Not the whole bulb, just about a silver dollar size. I went ahead and potted them up since they have green coming out.

Questions:
Will these make it through this bloom period?

Will they eventually rot completely?

Is there anything I can do to help them?

Like I said, they are already potted. I had the time today and it was now or never.

(These are following on the heels of the 16 I already had bloom for the holidays. As you can see, I'm OCD when I fall in love with a new plant.) This Spring it's Lilies thanks to all the co-ops! {Plus, I tend to ramble :) }

My final plan is to plant all of them in the yard this spring and hopefully after a summer of growing, and a winter rest, they will begin running their blooming cycle with Spring of '09.
I may keep a few in pots and let them go dormant in the garage over the summer after the foliage dies. But I have about 6 Papilio and I've heard they are evergreen.

ANYWAY, if someone has some info. and/or tips, I'd really appreciate it!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 11:39 PM

You could have attempted to section the bulb before planting in order to grow new bulbs over time from the remnants.

Since they are already potted, pick up a systemic fungicide at a garden center and apply it as instructed on the bottle.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.