Blackland Prairie & Watermelons?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I live in an area of Central Texas with a soil type called Blackland Prairie, or black clay soil. Theoretically (according to the county soil survey) the area is "the finest agricultural land in the county." In years past, my homesite was actually a cotton field, but that was some time ago. It's been fallow/in grass for probably 20 years.

My question is about growing watermelons. My wife and daughters have specifically requested that I add watermelons to the garden spot I started last year. However, I know that watermelon prefers sandy loam....should I truck in and till-in sand, compost, or something else? Or should I give it up as a lost cause? Are there watermelons that can endure heavier soil?

The tomatoes, okra, beans, squash and corn I planted last year all did great! The peppers suffered from a virus...but I don't think that was directly the soil's fault. Even the cucumbers did pretty well.

Any suggestions on reasonable amendments or cultivars that might endure heavier soil well? Thanks!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey neighbor! Yes, Iv'e heard watermelons liked sandy soil, too. I found some before along the highway in a landscaped area. The soil was black, though it did have mulched beds.

I grew some cantalopes years ago, but I had brought in some sandy soil from Bastrop. Those were some good cantalopes.

Good luck, maybe someone else can be more help.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If the soil is loose you will probably be ok. If it makes adobe brick after each rain, no. Adding sand to real clay makes soil cement so I don't recommend it. You would do a lot better adding compost or other other organic material to loosen it up. Watermelons send down deep roots so they are picky about soil, Cantaloupes are not as picky and will grow in a variety of soils. In any event you will not know until you try.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Farmerdill, do you think I'd be better off trying smaller watermelons, or should I plant the big ones? Can you recommend any cantelopes/muskmellons?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The size of the watermelon should be determined by your particular needs. Your season is long enogh to grow any type. I have found the round/oval melons do better on heavier soils than the long types. That is particularly true of older cultivars which tend ro bottlenose on heavier soils, I grew up on clay soil where we grew Dixie Queen, Stone Mountain, Black Diamond and Stone Mountain. Crimson Sweet is a smaller melon in that class but one of the tastiest melons you will find. Among the "icebox" class, Mickylee and Sugar Baby. I do grow one or two of the newer hybrids each year thus far have not found one with a clear advantage over an equivalent OP.

I am very picky about Cantaloupes. I prefer the green fleshed "Galia" types like Passport, Rocky Sweet.
Orange flesh muskmelon Super Market, Sugar Queen, Star Headliner fit my tastebuds best.
You should also be able to grow Honeydews, Canarys, and ananas type melons if you so desire.
I have found the hybrids in the cantaloupe/melon group to be greatly superior in performance to the OP's.

These have been my primary seed sources for many years; http://www.twilleyseed.com/ http://www.willhiteseed.com/

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks! I think that we'll try Crimson Sweet. I appreciate the tip of round types doing better in heavy soils. My wife likes orange-fleshed muskmellon, so I'll check Plant Files for favorites there..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.