Memories of days gone by... and spring fever!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

My mom is a "digi scrap booker" and has had me digging out any of my pics that survived the great flood from isabelle and I've also been reclaiming some that I lost from old posts (which I'm very thankful now that I posted them!)

I thought it would be fun to drag up some old threads and maybe bring some green to these winter days.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/449386/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/438875/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/438778/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/388566/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/388381/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/373612/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/309112/

I don't have time to go thourgh all my threads to find more pics right now but I'm sure I'll be looking at them sooner or later and will post any pics of green :)

I know there are lots of threads out there with pics by lots of folks... please feel free to add to the list of fond memories and pics of green :)

Can ya tell I've got spring fever? LOL Please! I need to see pics of green ;)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

All these views and no one has any pics of green? Are ya'll hibernating? ;)

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Here's a couple that are sure to show up soon:

Thumbnail by largosmom

Yellow crocus are always the first ones up at my place!

Thumbnail by largosmom

One more, a Hosta this time: Red October

Thumbnail by largosmom

p.s. the trips down memory lane were also very nice!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks bunches Laura!

I'm in MD today and had to run out and move leaves around to see if I had any smidge of crocus up yet, LOL. I ended up cleaning out the pond... wow, was it a mess! I haven't stepped foot into either yarden since mid july :(

I love/hate these 70 degree days in january. Love to be out in the dirt, hate that it's just a tease, LOL.

Looks like everyone else is hibernating for the winter. I don't have any pics from this year to post :( just a few from this spring that may already be posted somewhere. If you have any other pics I sure would love to see them :)

OK, here you go! I came home a bit early today to fix a Japanese Maple that I had my lawn guys plant this past weekend. I had to get the soil back to ground level and put some mulch on it. I also repotted my plumeria and a cutting of brugmansia that a friend saved me.

These are pictures from last year.

First some hosta flowers, I'm pretty sure from Sieboldiana Elegans.

Thumbnail by largosmom

A hydrangea and a NOID hosta...maybe "So Sweet".

Thumbnail by largosmom

Something from YOUR garden last year! Hosta Parhelion

Thumbnail by largosmom
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Ah - it was heaven! From last June - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

Wild columbine

Thumbnail by largosmom

Bleeding heart flowers

Thumbnail by largosmom

Japanese Maple 'Tiny Tim'

Thumbnail by largosmom

One of my favorite new hostas last year, 'Red Cadet'. It gave flowers and seeds (just germinating). Nice white backs and red into the leaves.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Very "tidy" growth habit.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Alliums from the Norfolk Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by largosmom

One more

Thumbnail by largosmom

Dax, that hosta bed is luscious!

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kelly and I at Foxfire

Thumbnail by marie_

A moment from the UMW 2006 RU.

Thumbnail by marie_

I miss my hostas.

Thumbnail by marie_

Co-op Calla Pink Rehmannii

Thumbnail by marie_

Hosta Tatoo

Thumbnail by marie_

Hosta border in bloom.

Thumbnail by marie_

Hosta Lunar Orbit....one of my favs.

Thumbnail by marie_

Hosta Queen Josephine in bloom.

Thumbnail by marie_

This spot is pretty much snow-white right now.

Thumbnail by marie_

H. Fragrant Bouquet in a mixed container.

Thumbnail by marie_

Buddha in the ferns.....Maiden Hair fern and Sensitive fern.

Thumbnail by marie_

Here are my fur-boys having a bit of nip last summer.

And now......I shall head up to bed, to be joined shortly by Buddy (in black) and Remington (in harness).....and will no doubt have visions of green, and hostas dancing in my head. Ahhhh....such sweet hosta dreams.

Thumbnail by marie_
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Marie, I love your Fragrant Bouquet and streptocarpella combo. I copied your picture and put it in my "Possible combos for 2008" folder! And I love the other picture of your hostas, looks like they're up against a building.

Dax, your garden is so beautiful.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Aahhhh Thanks! I needed that :)

Laura that Tiny Tim is so cute! There is a nursery not too far from here (VA) that carries several different jap maples. I've oogled them for the last 2-3 years. I have a lace leaf green one but would love to add some others.

I love white backed hosta!

Do you grow any alliums? I've looked at them over and over through the years, there are some neat ones. I just never dared put any in the yarden because I have wild ones that I can't get rid of and am afraid to add any hybrids.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

dax! Wow! Very nice!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Marie I just love that pic of you and Kelly.

Your beds look wonderful, nice and lush and full and green! :)

I am in love with that bench too! Kitties are my other "addiction" LOL. I had 2 more adopt me this summer. One was only about 5 weeks old, the other is at least 3yro I'd guess but no idea other than that. I usually bring the drop offs (we get a lot of them in VA) to the spca or no kill shelter but I let these last 2 keep me ;) I already have 3 at the house in MD, one 8yro this year and the other 2 are 11. I forgot what it was like having a kitten!

Are your ferns well behaved? I added some to the MD garden a couple years ago and they come up everywhere, even up through the middle of other plants. No idea what kind they are, they were gifts. I've been sticking to jap painted and holly ferns so far in VA but would love add some others that behave.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Jody here is my new Hosta bed-that make 2 now thanks to you and sue!!oh and some great co-ops! Will take new pictures this spring
I did get the sidewalk completed and hung a seat swing in between the trees

Thumbnail by notmartha

revclaus......that hosta bed is on a bank between the deck and a big drop down to the lake. Since it was too steep to mow, I made tiered hosta beds. That Fragrant Bouquet combo turned out very nice. Every now and then something works better than expected.

Jody.....Isn't that bench great! It's made of a resin so it's very easy for me to pick up and move all by myself. I found it at a TJMaxx a few years ago for $100. I have a lot of ferns since I love them in and around the hostas. They also make a great transition from the yard into the woods. Do not ever put a Sensitive Fern in your garden. They send out suckers and come up everywhere.....in force. I'm trying to get rid of them. Every Spring I dig out what comes up, and put them in pots on the deck and then dump them in the Fall. I don't think that I will ever get rid of them, and I do not like them strangling the other ferns and hostas. I do love the look of them, but even though I've tried to put containment barriers around them......I have not as yet been successful.

notmartha.......very nice hosta bed. I'll just bet that we can find you some more hostas in a co-op this Spring. lol It looks like you put black plastic down first for your path. What did you use on top of it? I'm trying to figure out how I want to do a new bed in the Spring, and am opens to just about anything.....especially if it's cheap. I need to save my money for more hostas!

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

To bad they don't stay this small. My Boys... Bane, Pixie, Zeus and Sweetness(Walter Payton).

Thumbnail by allnitro
Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

3 of My Boys.

Thumbnail by allnitro

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.