Movies, TV, & Stars,What is you favorite and least favorite?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

We saw the J. Depp version of Wonka the other night. It was good but the original was much better.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

the tim burton one was more like the book in some ways.
i never saw the gene wilder one until i was an adult, and all i could think was, "They show this to kids!!?" i think i gave me nightmares as an adult...

Gene Wilder was better, in my opinion and I really like that in the original, Charlie messed up, but fessed up. That's why he 'won'.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

when i was a kid, i had a big crush on Gene Wilder.
(go figure)

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I still have a crush on Gene Wilder.

This weekend I saw 'Eastern Promises'. it's very violent, but I closed my eyes for the bad parts. My favorite was seeing Viggo Mortensen in the buff wrestling. Whew!

Always liked Gene Wilder. Never had a crush though. So good in The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and the one or two with Richard Pryor.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Yes, I've always loved Gene Wilder... but a crush? No, lol! Not my type!

I can't decide which of the WW & the Chocolate Factories I prefer. They both have their good points, but they're both odd movies. Wasn't that a Roald Dahl story? If so, it would explain it. In my town in grammar school there is a big emphasis on Dahl - James and the Giant Peach, etc. - but for the life of me I could never figure out what if any attraction he had for children. Downright scary, if you ask me.

My DD did really like his books. MY DS read The BFG and was scared for weeks. Woke me up in the middle of the night for a long time. Needless to say, I substituted another word for "friendly" in The Big, Friendly Giant, lol!

You must mean 'fat'!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I heard it was the poet Shel Silverstien that had the thing for children, not Roald Dahl.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Lewis Carroll.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Ever see the movie of James & the Giant Peach? It is great!

Dahl is weird & great

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I read that book.

Didn't you ask that already, Dave?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Did you ever see the movie: James and the Giant Peach? It's great!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No, ever watch Boston Legal?

I think I left out one of my favorite movies of all from the first thread - the Out of Towners with Jack Lemmon. Absolutely hilarious!

Phoenix, AZ

Love TOOTs, Victor! I adore Jack Lemmon. I got his autograph at the Bing Crosby Golf Tournament at Pebble about 1000 years ago. Very very nice man.

Cool! Is there anyone you have not met?!! He's one of the greatest actors ever.

Phoenix, AZ

Its only because I grew up and lived in LA/San Fernando Valley CA and SF/Palo Alto Bay Area. Here in Phoenix, not so much activity. Ball players, Tanya Tucker (for the Arabian Horse Show), Sen John McCain and a Gene Hackman (sighting only), and a bunch of Venture Capitalists from Silicon Valley.

Glengarry Gllen Ross is one of my all time faves (look at that cast!)
Days of Wine and Roses
Odd Couple
... I'm getting hungry for a Jack Lemmon review.

I'll give you one. He's GREAT!

A very good, lesser known, quirky movie is Scarecrow with Hackman and Pacino. Love Pacino 70's classics - Godfathers, Serpico (saw him filming that), Dog Day Afternoon and And Justice for All.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh goodness! Let's not start any rumors here, lol! I never said Dahl "had a thing" for children. I said that the school system here has a thing for Dahl! They really encourage his books at the elementary school level, and I just think they are not very kid-friendly books.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Victor - remind me more about Scarecrow - I think I remember it and liked it. Also like Dog Day Afternoon, and one of my favorite Pacino movies was The Devil's Advocate.

They were drifters just traveling and discovering themselves. I saw it long ago and need to see it again.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I liked scarecrow too. I think it came out after the French Connection

Yes - '73 I believe. Same year as Serpico.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I loved "Your out of order!" (And Justice for all) The lawyer who lost his mind (don't know his name) has had a steady TV career

You mean the judge - Jack Warden.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

No. Bald lawyer.

Oh - I thought you were referring to the screaming. Jeffrey Tambor, I think - great character actor.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes, just found him
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001787/

Yes - he's very good.

That's cool that IMDB tells you when they will be on tv.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Maybe I don't remember Scarecrow - but I'll try it.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hi all!

Shows I like: Dirty Jobs, 3rd rock from the sun, The Bob Newhart Show(both of them), Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal. Also Cybill Shepard in Cybill, Moonlighting w/ Bruce Willis and Paper Moon, oh and Chances Are with Robert Downey Jr. I like his acting too. Does anyone remember Remington Steele with Pierce Brosnan? I know I'm dating myself with some of these shows! Oh and I never missed a Muppets show!!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I loved Moonlighting - but not Cybill.

American Idol is back - yea!

And LOST is almost here - double yea!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I watch Dirty Jobs w/DH sometimes, also Ice Road Truckers and Deadliest Catch. He pretty much likes anything on the History and Discovery channels. I liked Ghost Whisperer when it first came out, but have since lost interest. Love American Idol but don't really watch "full time" until it gets down to 12 contestants. Same thing with Survivor, but I look for the foliage and flowers growing on the Island that are on! LOL

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We also watch Ice Road Truckers and Deadliest Catch. I also watch Mystery Diagnosis on DHC and Dr. G the medical examiner. Can't watch that with my DH, says it gives him nightmares!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I love Dr. G and Skeleton Stories!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Sandy, I loved the Muppet Show! The two grumpy old men were so funny!

Dee, Oh! My son loved all Roald Dahl books. I think he appreciated that there were some dark sides to him. I had heard that one of these authors was a pedophile... thought it was Shel Silverstien... can't be sure. I guess I ought to get my facts right.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Anybody remember Quincy and The Rockford Files? Oooh! and Emergency!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.