Bohemian Waxwings Volume 2

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I took another couple hundred photos of Bohemian Waxwings yesterday. Since so many of you seem to enjoy them, I'll post a few more of the best shots.

Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Standing on it's head to reach dinner.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Look closely, you will notice the head is "on backwards". lol. Well, at least turned upside down.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

It's after 11 AM, and only twilight, do to the heavy ice fog. Sure hope the ice fog will burns off soon, so I can go out again today.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous pictures! They just look like very "stately" birds, that is, until they do their acrobatics to get their food. So, they are stately, with personality to boot. :)

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Watching the BW's feeding is a lot like watching the traipse performers in the circus!

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Breathtaking and Beautiful...Thank you for the wonderful pics!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics Gary! Looks like he caught you looking at him in that last pic.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Great photos, Gary. The snow and red berries certainly enhance the overall photo. I run into a flock of Cedar Waxwings on occasion but have no photos of them in snow.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

They just don't look real! Beautiful

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I'm still sorting yesterdays Bohemian Waxwing pictures. I like the contorted position I caught this one in.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful!!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Nice pics!

Interesting that the rowan berries are all still nice and plump and red, here the few that are left have turned black and dried out or rotten. I guess the cold preserves them.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Another lovely pic Gary!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
Interesting that the rowan berries are all still nice and plump and red,

The berries have been frozen for a long time, so there is no spoilage. The birds have some difficulty crushing and eating the forzen berries. The season is short enough that apples don't fall off the trees in the fall. However, they do rot and/or ferment. Decorative Crap Apples trees are commonly used in landscaping. The apples are all brown and shriveled. Some have a high alcohol content. There was a drunk moose in the down town business district last month. It had been observed eating rotten apples. Many species of birds are eating apples also.

This is a new picture I took today. I only went out for a few minutes during a break in the clouds. A block before I reached the location, I took three shots of a Merlin. She must have been watching this flock from her parch before I interrupted. She was back light and too distant for any quality pictures.

Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.