Dial Up Speeds

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Out here in the flatlands of the midwest the only choice we have is dial up or satallite. Right now I really can't afford satallite, and wonder even if I could, would the high winds we get on a daily basis affect it. We do have Dish Network for TV (cable not available either)
Anyway, my question..

My DH has replaced every telephone wire in this entire house. The box that belongs to the phone company has not been change for probably 20 years, which probably goes along with the underground wires that lead under the highway across the street to the main box.

When I Dial Up, I don't know what it depends on, but I get such an assortment of speeds. If I don't like my speed, I just hang up and redial until I get one I like.
This morning I dialed up at, 9.6kps, 19.2kps and finally 42.6kps, which is close to the highest I ever get.
My isp says it is not them... it is me.. I have 3 computers that can dial up, with 3 different lines, same number, just different leads. The numbers will all look like the ones above.
I have 3 different phone numbers I can call for connection, again.. assorted speeds.
I downloaded a different isp to try free for 30 days... it has a constant speed of somewhere in the 30'kps.

Any ideas or do I just stop fighting this and relax?

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!