Sweet Sorghum Suggestions

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Can anyone suggest a sweet sorghum for the western Carolinas? There are folks who make their own mollasses in these parts, but they say they order their seeds from a catalogue and can't (or won't) seem to ever remember what variety they grew.. which never ceases to amaze me. I've seen trials on the Net that showed varierties with great yields of carbohydrates per acre (good concentration of sugars and lots of sap), but those had the worst trouble with lodging.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The extension service has an extensive listing of publications on the subject.http://attra.ncat.org/new_pubs/attra-pub/sorghumsyrup.html?id=Idaho#web About all I remember is that a forage (sweet) sorghum is used rather than a grain sorghum. In Virginia seed was bought from Southern States Cooperative. There is a National Sweet Sorghum Producers and Processors Association (NSSPPA) which operates out U of Kentucky.

Quoting:
Townsend Sorghum Mill in Jeffersonville, Kentucky, is a good source of sorghum syrup varieties adapted to conditions north of Memphis, Tennessee. Contact:
Townsend Sorghum Mill
11620 Main Street
Jeffersonville, KY 40337
606-498-4142
Contact person: Danny Townsend

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Good lead. I had a feeling you'd be answering this one :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.