Door seals

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Wondering how everyone seals around there home made doors or even store bought doors.
I don't know about everyone else,but when the weather gets bad,cold,snow and ice,my doors
seem to shift somewhat,some become easier to open and shut some become harder,and really have to shove to get closed.
What I have used to seal around the doors and works great for me,and really keeps the cold air out is the black rubber bottom garage door seals around the edge of my door frame.
And what would I do with out the remote weather thermometer!!!!
20* degrees outside this morning and 64* inside the greenhouse.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
New Iberia, LA

Tropicman
What model and brand is that remote thermometer? Do you like it and would you recommend it. I am going to need one with a minimum range of 70 feet.
On the doors, well I have gone full circle on that. I ditched the sliding doors framed in treated lumber, because I fear that they will warp over time. I am now building aluminum frames with polycarbonate covering. More expensive but much lighter and durable.
Thanks for the tip on the black rubber bottom garage door seals.
Oldude

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oldude,
I have a Springfield Precise Temperature,433MHz,and yes I really like it,gives
Time,In and out temps,hi and low temps,and the day ,date and year,$16.00
at Walmart.
Sounds like a good idea on the doors!!!!

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I bought a WS-9125TWC-IT Wireless Thermometer It came with one remote to read outside temp. Check this link :
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/9125/
I then found two more remotes from a different shop for less $$
The range is stated 330 feet ?? I have one outside, one in the GH and one in the cellar under the GH...have some seeds and plants 'underground' See my GH :
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/762475/
Right now it's 71 in the house 33 outside 62 in the GH and 55 in the cellar
I wondered ifi the remote would not work from the cellar but all is well. The GH is aprox. 80 ' from the house.

Love Compost Tea

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Tropicman my door freezes in very cold weather too. I guess it's the amount of moisture inside combined with the cold outside. It was 3 degrees the other morning and I had a real hard time getting the door to budge. I had to use my shoulder several times till it gave (ouch!). I'm wondering if something like petroleum jelly rubbed on the frame would help? There isn't any room to add any more seal to the door. It already has some that it came with. My GH has a regular utility door (with window) for access. It has shifted so I can't bolt it from the inside right now.

MollyD

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Molly,
The seal attaches to the outside of the door,so when you shut it,it covers the face of the door frame and not the inside of the frame,it covers where the gap might let cold air in,it acts as such like a cover plate,or better explaining it as a door sweep plate would be.
My wood swells from excessive ,moisture and sticks also,as soon as it warms up it shrinks back to normal.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Tropicman my door opens into the GH so would I place it on the inside of the GH. I don't see any gaps around my door as it is now but I'm getting the frozen door just the same.

MollyD

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmm,never seen a door going into a greenhouse,you must be getting some condensation running down from your greenhouse sides or roof,and collecting somewhere on the door,into the doorframe.
Can you put some type of diverter above your door to collect and run off any moisture that might run down to your door?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

This is a regular kitchen/utility door. The type you would put on a kitchen. That's why it opens into the GH and not out. I'll check for moisture running down on the door and see what I can do.

MollyD

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I have one of those on my garage for entrance side door!
I think I'm going to change that this summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.