Montbretia, Crocosmia 'Severn Seas' (Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora)

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Montbretia, Crocosmia 'Severn Seas'
Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora

crocosmia severn seas

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi, there!!
That is a pretty one!! The PF's color description says it is pink, coral apricot or orange?? Good to know there are color options. It must be a tall one, it is listed as 60 cm. The varieities I tried last year were real shorties without much impact. If it is tall and has a lot of folwers to make a haze of color, I think of getting it. I love that orange!!

Hiya D'Anne

Yep, it is a pretty one................ it is one of those that is only available is the States!!!! Cannot get it here at all................
The colour is actually reddish-orange with a yellow throat!!!! Somehow the colour just cannot be caught exactly right.
Noooooooooooooooooooo 60cm isn't tall really........... 2ft is quite small.
Try it and see what you think.........!!

Thanks, Mark!! Yes, I think I will try that one, just for the flower!! I left a couple of my other crocosmia bulbs in the ground last fall and I bet they are frozen rock solid since it has been going down in the 20's and teens at night for the past week or so. I sort of expect they are goners and I will need to find new bulbs, anyway. Seven Seas is so colorful!!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooo that is cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't be at all suprised if they are gonners............ we will see in spring!! LOL
Yes try severn seas, if you get it growing well, will you send me some corms of it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mark

LOL!! Mark, I know when you said they are 'only in the U.S." I was adding them to the Redhead. Of course, I would be very happy to add to your awesome collection!!!

I am still scouting nurseries to see what I can find. Unfortunately, pictures and descriptions are scarce and vague. I think it best to try to grow any new bulbs first to see what I get before sending them on to you. You wouldn't want to get more George Davisons, Emily McKenzies, and Lucifers, or crosses of these!! LOL!!

Awwwwwwwwwww you are a sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually crosses of them may be very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You never know what you may end up with......... LOL
Seems strange to me that nurseries over there are so crocosmia shy....

Me
XX

I don't think it's shyness--I think it's ignorance and lack of demand in the market. But when people start coming in and asking for certain things, they start finding them and putting them out. Pretty soon, we will be getting more than 31 flavors and color options!! Only in America!! Take white pumpkins for example....It's just a matter of time.

D.

I think its because America believes that all crocosmia are weeds, like the orange-yellow one that spreads everywhere!! Also lack of different ones to see.......... there are only 7 or 8 in America that are reasonably common!!
I would love to be an intermediate between a good outlet in usa and a seller in the Dutch land!!!!
White Pumpkins....................... why???? LOL

Me

You are probably right about the "weed" reputation--I know some are "native" in some States and either not suitable for cultivation or just not desirable. The familiar ones we know are, well, familar. Like a ten-cent joyride, you just don't get a lot out of them in the landscape aspect. You can't cut the flowers for vases like you can glads....what else can you do with them??

That's interesting about your prospects....I am sure it will happen one day. Are crocosmia scarce in the Netherlands?? They seem to have enough bulbs already!!

D.

Its such a shame there aren't more available over there..............
I know what you mean about the being familiar, its the same here really......... ask people what varieties they know and the answer will always be the same...... LUCIFER or GEORGE DAVISON.
They do actually make nice cut flowers with other flowers.
Noooooooooooo they aren't scarce in the Netherlands.............. you just don't know what you will get from there, maybe the right plant, maybe not. LOL

M

LOL!! The Netherlands is the Bulb Capital of the World!! A lot of my bulb catalogs say something like, "direct from Holland" r "grown in Holland" and all I see is Lucifer amid 100's of tulips and daffodilas!!

Somebody said, familiarality breeds contempt, I think. This saying probably was inspired by crab grass and ditch lillies!! Well, I know it takes someone special like you to be able to find less familiar varieties to enjoy.....

I think the flowers are lovely and would have cut mine for a vase, but it was such a thrill to see them bloom out there that I didn't touch them. They just didn't last long, seemed like a few days, even on the plant. It most likely could have been the heat and humidity, which got pretty rough toweards the end of July!! I'm just going to get some more and try again!!

D.

"Direct from Holland" as though it is something wonderful..........
They sell a few varieties of crocosmia for cents each, but the quality is just garbage.......

LOL.................. what the heck is crab grass....??? Sounds good...........
Oh i like the less familiar things......... always have done!!

I could never cut the flowers from mine................... Like you, its always such a thrill to see them all blooming away, even though they don't last that long!!
Yes could be the humidity that they don't like that much............. they tend to rot here if its humid in the winter time.
Get some more and keep trying........................ try putting them in a little shade!!

M

LOL!! "What's crabgrass??" I am tickled pink by your innocence!! I might as well have fun with this....

Good definition and the most despised by the high order of lawn cicrlces:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/crabgrass

Pictures:

http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=pictures+of+crabgrass&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

In some parts of the country, this type is more popular and well-liked:

http://www.crabgrassbluegrass.com/

You can't walk through a town in the U.S. with houses that have front lawns and not hear a gripe about crabgrass.......

D.

I just bet there are more gardens than lawns in the U.K. and that the sight of weeds is a rarity in well-tended gardens. Else you can have a comeback on me for being so naive!!!! LOL!!

D.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so its an invasive grass................ keep it that side o the pond me dear...........................

Oh wow, I love bluegrass music.......................... it just had me singing along to it......... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

In that case get rid of the lawns and have gravel...................... LOL

M

amazingly the english love their lawns............................ its a sunday thing to get outside and stripe your lawn so it looks perfect!!
Not me................ I am gonna be digging mine up, all but a pathway through the garden!!

Ooooohhh, so one out of two hits were good, huh?--you like bluegrass, don't you?? A lot of folks (even in D.C.) seem to like it, too. It's good to relax and unwind with, after hoe-down and with a six-pack!! LOL!!

I love luscious lawns, but when you want more plants and less work, the lawn gets smaller and smaller. I also like the idea of lots of paths around the yard. It makes it feel bigger. I have some in my yard and keep adding more. I bet you will really not miss your lawn after you get it filled up. But big open spaces are great, too, to run and play in or natural with wildflowers!!

LOL.................. Never really listened to Bluegrass before, but yeah its kinda good!!!
My idea of relax is no music, just sit on the garden bench in the summer with the scent of all the flowers and listen to the birds singing because they are happy!!!

My lawn gets smaller every year!! This year it gonna go totally, apart from a little winding path to the top of the garden. I won't miss the lawn at all.......... save me mowing it anyway!!!
awwwwwwwwwww how romantic you are............ Love it..

Me

D

Check out this site.............................. http://www.simplesite.com/schizostylis

don't forget to sign the guestbook!!

M

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.