Tomato seeds sprouting inside the fruit

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

This is only the second time I've seen this. Maybe its not unheard of, but it sure surprised me. This is a regular supermarket winter tomato that sat on my counter about two weeks and didn't rot.

After several posts here, I went and found the thread in Tomatos about it. Here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/767524/
It's called 'vivipary'

This message was edited Jan 5, 2008 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Hmm, interesting. I've never seen that before. You should try planting them, maybe you'll get a tomato plant.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is relatively rare, but not unusual.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Try the Tomato Forum if you want more input, there was a thread about it last year.

Thanks, folks. I will go looking for that thread .

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

It happened to mine that was in the frig.. I did try planting them and most of them grew. I was in a corp residence place so I left before they matured but it apparantly does happen..

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Wow, I've never seen anything like that sallyg!

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

I have never seen anything like that before but it makes sense. A warm window spot and steady moisture. Hmmm, the skin must have been thin enough for some sort of light to get in. How very cool......Thanks for sharing.

Light and warmth- it sat next to the stove where the hood light stays on many hours a day. However, curiouly, Icosden had one in the fridge do it. Maybe it could have begun sprouting before being refrigerated, or the warm light is not the whole thing. Surely there are a lot of people storing tomatos in warm light places in summer whil harvest is going on.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

It might have sprouted internally before I bought it and stuck it in the fridge.. Didn't think about that possiblity.. Humm...

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Cool! I've never heard of that happeneing before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.