bluebirds in WI today January 1st

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Neighbors gd has a flock of them on her farm. All local Audobon info are closed for holidays.
Anyone have any experience with them in the cold weather.? We are at 15 degrees during the day-single digits tonight?
she is worried and wondering if she should head to feed store for grubs/suet.
Thanks for any help.

Marlton, NJ

Hi Marcia,
Heres a recipe from the Sialis website (a great BB site).

Winter Feed (John Schuster)
Lard
Peanut butter (crunchy of course)
Chopped up raisins, nuts
egg shells (after baking the empty shells for 25-30 minutes at 275 degrees, or microwaving rinsed wet shells for 3-4 minutes)
Add extras: chopped up Cheerios, boiled chopped up dates, and boiled chopped up citron fruits, chopped up sunflower seeds
He usually makes enough to put two layers in two 9x12" pans, chill, and cut each layer into 6 pieces.

Live Mealy Worms are a real treat for BB's.

I'll see what else I can find.

Pelle

Marlton, NJ

Hi Marcia, Heres another one from the Sialis site that looks very easy.

Bluebird Tempter
1 cup peanut butter, chunky or creamy
1 cup suet, chopped
1 cup raisins, chopped or dried currants
1 cup peanuts, chopped cornmeal
Combine first four ingredients.

Add cornmeal, mixing by hand until it reaches the consistency of medium-stiff cookie dough. Crumble into an open tray feeder.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I went to a bird talk last winter and learned that blue birds also love crumbled corn bread with a little extra oil! I haven't tried it myself but plan to later this winter when I start seeing them in the neighborhood. I also have read that even more attractive than food for bluebirds is water in winter. If she has a bird bath heater thingy or I have even used a heated pet water bowl.

Marlton, NJ

Oh I forgot about the cornbread/oil Lily.

Thanks for bringing that up!

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks a lot, I passed on the information. It seems, with the # of bluebird houses going up ( in the thousands within a couple of counties ,at least-several very active enthusiatists); they are in general, more prevelant (not at My house though). They have been seen in the Spring Green/Mt. Horeb area in Southern WI
The birds mentioned in my posting are probably hanging out in her barn, getting food there and in the feeders. Her gramma said that she would make sure to tell her about the suet etc, as she didn't know if J. had the suet ones out. She does do a lot of feeding.
I will also try a bit of mixing for her ( I have lots more time)

Danvers, MA

I keep meaning to ask... What kind of peanut butter do you use? I know that salt is bad for the birds. Isn't there salt in PB?

Happy Birding!

Marlton, NJ

Yes there is and if possible Low Salt or No Salt Peanut Butter should always be used. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.