http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/800936/
This is where we came from....

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 9:29 AM

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 11:06 AM

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

shucks, forgot the bird...

Thumbnail by Depsi
Klamath River, CA

DMurray407..............yes that is an Emu youngster tiger.

Marlton, NJ

Thanks for starting the new thread Depsi!

Very nice pic!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

That was a first for me.....my heart is still racing, Pelle, thanks for putting that thread there that made it more clear where we to go......Happy New Year and may God bless all our efforts in the coming year....Deb

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Pelle requested that I re-post my photos of the Black Vulture to this thread, so here goes ....

Photo #1:

Black Vultures taking a break and sunning themselves ... a photo in black and white best reflects their sinister reputation. I came across a large flock yesterday, up-close and personal while birding for Bald Eagles.

Spreading their wings in sunlight, the black feathers soak up the sun's heat, warming the bird.

Black vultures are monogamous and mate for life. A mate is replaced only after the death of one individual. Both parents incubate eggs using a system of 24 hour shifts and parents feed their young up to eight months after fledging (Buckley, 1999).

Thumbnail by linthicum
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Depsi, know the feeling, my heart raced too. You did a good job. Do you know, what kind of bird that is in the tree?

A dee enjoying the PB Suet.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Photo #2 is a photo of a Black Vulture pair against the bright blue sky.

Thumbnail by linthicum
lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

He is our male Red Shafted Flicker, we have two of them that frequent our property. They are a joy to see. I am absolutely in awe of those Vultures!!!!!! like our turkeys, even in their homeliness they are beautiful and regal....Deb

Klamath River, CA

It's a New Year and a Stellar Day........Maybe that should be a Steller's Day?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Even in the most ugly things, there is beauty. In my case I don't like Starlings, not because they're that ugly, but because they're voracious. But I like the beautiful markings on them.
Linthicum - Like the info you added about the black vultures, they have a face, only a mother could love, but are faithful mates, and very sanitary. Nice picture btw.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Happy New Year's Day to everyone!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a little chickadee wishing you all a Happy New Year (actually I think he's wishing for some warmer weather . . .)
Deb

Thumbnail by DMurray407
Marlton, NJ

Thanks SO MUCH Linth!!! Their Wonderful shots!

Very nice shots Everyone!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 3:32 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Depsi, thanks for the new thread!

Fantastic Black Vulture pics Linthicum!! I've only seen the Turkey Vultures here, although we are supposed to be in the northern range of the Blacks.

Cute Dee pics, Burn & Deb...I just love watching those little guys :-)

Adel, I never get tired of seeing the amazing blue color of those Stellars, they make our regular Blue Jay's look so drab.

Wishing Happy & Prosperous New Year to everyone!!!

Here's a shot of about 1/2 of the 20 Cardinals I had at & around the feeders this past Saturday...

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here are the rest of them. This was the most I've had at one time, they were beautiful as they came swooping in!

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Marlton, NJ

Wow that is alot of Cardinals sadie! :-)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's a rather poor pic that I took yesterday of a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I missed the best photo op because I didn't have any pb on my log and it flew to a nearby tree.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

It sure was Pelle! I was doing that PFW bird count and I had to keep marking out my numbers, LOL. I think the most I've ever seen was 12 or 14. Last year must have been a prolific breeding season!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's a Hairy WP on the pb log.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Saturday, there was an interesting battle between 2 male WBN's. After they flew around squawking at each other, they landed in this Rose of Sharon. They would mimic each other, if one turned upside down the other would...if one sat up right the other did...it went on and on and was very entertaining :-)

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Female Cardinal perched on the pb log.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Titmouse checking out the small leftover chunk of seed cake that I had taken out of the feeder.

How are my photos looking as far as being too dark? I'm using a laptop and depending on how the screen is tilted, the photos look darker or lighter. Sometimes when I look at my posts from work, the photos look too dark :-(

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Sadie, they don't look dark at all. They look beautiful! I've never seen more than 3 cardinal pairs at our feeders and usually it's just one pair. Are there that many all year or just at this time?

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Here are a Red Breasted Nuthatch and a Goldfinch having a snack . . .

Thumbnail by DMurray407
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bebop, I've been meaning to ask about that but kept forgetting.

I don't see this many together in the summer, usually not more than 6 or so at a time. I think word has gotten out that the diner is open and running, LOL! I see quite a few of them out along the woods edges during the summer, so I think they just congregate in the winter for the food.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

DMurray, nice photo! I sure wish I'd get some RB Nuthatches, I guess I'll settle for my WB ones, they're all so cute.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very nice photos Sadie, The 4 bottom ones are very clear, not dark at all. Love them all. Must of been nice to see all those Cardinals awesome.
I have a problems with mine looking dark when downloaded. I still don't understand why, the picture looks ok on camera, but when downloaded, they're dark. If picture is taken on cloudy days, It's very hard to fix, on sunny days they're easier.

This was yesterday, a morning Dove on a branch.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

3 Pine Grosbeaks, one going for a crabapple.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

He decided to be brave again and showed up yesterday.
Junco

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Burn and yes, those Cardinals were awesome indeed!
I have a lot of trouble with pics taken on cloudy days too, I end up either having to correct the contrast or just trash them if they're too bad.

Nice photos, that poor Dove & Junco look COLD! My birds are freezing today, we've got flurries coming through with high winds, burrrr.
I've really enjoyed your Pink Grosbeak photos, I love seeing birds that we don't get here.

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

OK, two more pics for today and then I have to get ready to go to work (yuck!)
Here is a White Breasted Nuthatch . . .

Thumbnail by DMurray407
Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

And, another Chickadee

Thumbnail by DMurray407
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics DMurray! Love the Nuthatch!

Have a quick time at work!

Pelle :-)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Nice pics! Sorry you've got to go to work :-(

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's a Jay that was visiting this weekend.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

and a Titmouse that looks like he's had a little too much peanut butter, LOL!

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Here's a pic of my California Quail. It's kind of blurry as they were very nervous being so close to them.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 1:54 PM

Thumbnail by gardener105
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Gardener, those CA Quail are so pretty. We've got 1 small covey of Northern Bobwhites but I haven't seen them since this past summer. The mother and all of her little babies were in my flower beds one day, I'm hoping they show back up this summer

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nice little WBN and Dee, DMurray.
hmmm hmmm Good said the titmouse beautiful picture of Jay Sadie.
Gardener, you sure use heavy macheneries for gardening!!! :-)) What kind of crop do you grow? Cute quails.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.