favorite pic from this year?

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I was really thrilled and happy to see Pell's post marking today as the first anniversary of the bird forum here at Dave's. How approprite for New Year's Day!

So I thought I'd ask you all to think about and post your favorite bird photo that you took this past year. It is hard to choose but I think mine is this photo of a male and first year female tree swallow that set up house in my neighbor's yard. They asked me to water for them while they were on vacation and I brought my camera and tripod along "just in case" lol. I was really glad I did when I saw the tree swallows. The picture has some background info... When I saw the swallows I set up the camera and was gradually moving closer and closer. The female didn't like this one little bit and the male couldn't have cared less. He would actually preen while I was about five feet away while the female zoomed around dive bombing me and chittering madly. She finally gave up and zoomed back to the house where she gave the male a big loud piece of her mind. He answered back telling her to take a chill pill. This is the photo of that conversation.

And thanks again for starting this forum Pell! I know it takes a lot of work even if it is a labor of love!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Melbourne, FL

My favorite bird I saw this past year was a Bald Eagle, but my favorite picture based on bird and the beauty of the picture itself was this one of the Great Crested Flycatcher on my Firebush.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Great idea for a thead on our anniversary Lily! Thanks!

I'm afraid this is going to take me a while to figure out but I'll be back later
w/ mine.

Those are great ones GP and Lily!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2008 9:55 AM

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I'm just getting started with the whole birding thing, so I don't have a lot of pics I've taken to choose from. I'm surprised to learn that the bird watching forum has only been here a year! It's a very active forum and soooooooooo informative for a beginner like me. I didn't know Pelle started it but I can't say I'm surprised to hear that part, lol. Thank you so much, Pelle!

Here's my favorite photo so far, a Red Breasted Nuthatch.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2008 10:50 PM

Thumbnail by PeeperKeeper
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

That was a hard choice , but I love my noisy blue Jays so here he is with a seed in his beak☺

Thumbnail by posyblossom
Wasilla, AK

Not a simple task for a person who shot over 30 thousand bird shots in 07. The Darkeyed Junco is a spring, summer visitor in my part of Alaska with the occasional one who hangs out for the winter. This fellow spent a long time comming and going on the perch trying to attract a girl friend. I must have shot a 100 shots in hopes of catching this.
Doug

Thumbnail by akdoug
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

This one is close to my heart. It is a tiny chickadee greeting the sunrise on a cold morning after a snow storm.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful pics guys!

Boy it IS hard to pic a favorite as there are some that make you laugh and you love them and others that are favorites for a different reason.

I had 3 that I really liked but decided on this one from last year.

White-throated Sparrow

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 9:28 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

C'mon Guys; Pick 1 favorite photo you took in the last year and post it here!

LOL, I know its hard to chose just one but lets see them! :-)

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Omigosh! Those are such wonderful photos - and great stories to go with, too. I'll have to see if I have any that are worthy... (Probably my very favorite is of a pair of Baltimore Orioles at the feeders, because I haven't ever seen one here so I was thrilled beyond words, but the photos are lousy - didn't have my new camera and lens then.)

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very hard to choose, I had a few favorites too, but this one I like best.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

That is a nice one of the Chickadee burn!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 9:29 PM

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

One of my favorites, the TT. :) GM

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Marlton, NJ

Very nice GM!

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

A lovely array of favourite pictures.
It is a hard choice to make, but I think my favourite taken in 2007 was this Black-shouldered Kite Elanus notataus. I saw it in a tree in Mathison Park, where we walk regularly, but the light was behind him. I took several pictures, and then made a big detour and managed to get a view of him from the other side with perfect lighting. My first pictures would have been very pleasing, but the second set were so much better that I discarded all the first set.
This is a delightful little raptor, that hunts in open grassland, hovering like a kestrel, when it is searching for its prey.

Kennedy

Thumbnail by kennedyh
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wonderful pics everyone...a hard act to follow that's for sure. Your pics are an inspiration to do better! This isn't the best but one of my favorites is "Bright Eyes"!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh no! That was a hard act to follow. Beautiful pic Kennedy!

Marlton, NJ

Kennedy,He is a beauty! Great pic!

Love "bright eyes" dellrose!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Fantastic pics everyone! Great idea for a thread Lily, thanks :-)

Boy, this was a hard choice but here's my favorite. I know it looks weird but it was the first time I had witnessed how bent out of shape these RBWs can get when they have competing males in the vicinity. This was taken May 13, 2007 and he was making a terrible sound at the same time.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Marlton, NJ

Good one sadie!!!

Melbourne, FL

Nice pics so far, but I KNOW there are a LOT more great ones out there.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I guess this is my favourite pic this year - not too easy to get good pics with my cheapo camera.

Black-necked Grebe.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Marlton, NJ

Well you did an excellent job with that camera Resin!

He's a beauty! Thanks for posting it!

Pelle :-)

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

I find it virtually impossible to select my favorite photo. But if pinned down, I would probably go with this shot of the Osprey. I was able to get a series of different poses from very close range all equally appealing (to me). Conditions were ideal and I was able to capitalize on it. I was just walking along a path and there she was, 30 feet away and about 10 feet above ground level. The overall experience influences my selection of this photo.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Gorgeous Linth!

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous pictures everyone! I am a newbie here, so I don't have any favorites yet. Hope to change that by next year. I just love looking at the wonderful pictures you folks post.

GG

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Resin, I think your photo of the Black-necked Grebe is very nice!

Awesome Osprey photo Linthicum!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Lovely shots everyone.
I don't have much at all with birds, as most of my favorite shots are of my butterflies.
You can see them all here:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/imagesbyuser.php?user=pford1854

But here's my one and only good shot of a bird here.

Happy New Year everyone.
Thanks for sharing.

Thumbnail by pford1854
Klamath River, CA

Here's mine....An Ospry bringing breakfast for the chicks.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

my favorite photo was taken at the end of 2007. I like the story that the photo tells.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

This is a great thread. The pictures are excellent. How fun to scan through all the different birds.
I did not many bird pictures last year, and none were great, but you asked for a favorite. And this is my favorite from last year.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Marlton, NJ

Wow,great shots guys!

I love those Pileated Woodpeckers cpart!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2008 9:49 PM

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm really enjoying everyone's picks and its interesting to see such a great variety of birds!

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

One of the birds I enjoy watching in the backyard are the pheasants, as they walk up the west tree line to the feeders to grab up the corn and sunflower seeds the other birds have kicked out.

Best wishes to everyone. Hope all had a safe and enjoyable holiday...

....Dave

Thumbnail by UncleGreenthumb
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful Dave! Thanks for posting!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

WOAH DAVE!!!!
I do love those Pheasants. (envious though, I've never seen any in person)

Thanks to all for sharing.

I forgot I had one more. I cannot forget about my favorite little wren bird.
What a clown. :^)

Paul

Thumbnail by pford1854
Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I like this one-the robins and waxwings cleaned off our Mountain Ash this past fall. We've lived in this house for 7 years and I've never seen anything like it.The photo has a little frame effect I was experimenting with-I couldn't find the "unadorned original".

Thumbnail by DMurray407
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

This is probably the best photo of mine in 2007… I used it for our Holiday Card. It was not my most impressive sight though. That would be reserved for the mating hummingbirds that I saw in September. Yes. September.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful pics everyone!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The expression on the cardinal is priceless. I bet its thinking, "Why are you still here?"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.