Winter's still here, having spring memories! (2)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Took this pic at sundown,been 2 weeks and the snow just won't go away!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Also today took this pic in the bubble dome!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow..how deep was the snow? Can't complain about the strange warmth we're getting. Another night with the a/c on.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

also

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well it's still about 2 ft ,but's it been melting,that is a 4 ft chain link fence with honeysuckle
on top of it,last week you couldn't see the honeysuckle at all!
So it's melted quite abit!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Snow is melting here but that means ice on the roads. Yuck! Plus we no longer have gravel roads just mud roads. Major repairs will be coming before spring though. They are in baaaad shape.

What's the pink flower? Looks familiar.

Iced over lake at Powell Gardens.

Thumbnail by pepper23
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Don. I got some hibiscus seeds from the AHS last week. A few crosses with strange names. Hopefully they'd grow for me!

A few months back, I almost bid on eBay on a few lovely hibiscus from Singapore. I checked with my brother on the availability of such varieties and he said no such company exists! Came to find out from other DGers, it's a hoax!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 9:27 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for saying they are hibs. I thought that's what they were but wasn't sure enough. lol

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Mrs Jimmie Spanglers Hibiscus.
The ponds and rivers were frozen here,but kids have been falling thru the ice just about everynite this week,so far everyone has been ok on getting out,so even tho might be 1inch thick big cracks are happening and there falling thru.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Jaye I hope you have better luck with your seeds then I had,they would germinate,but would lose them to damping off,be sure to use sterile potting mix or seed starter mix,I was green at the time didn't realize how important that was a the time!!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Do you really ice-fish on that pond???

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay Don...sterile potting mix...about 1/2 perlite and the other half peat moss? Is that what you meant?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well yes I mix my own too,but you can buy it as a seed starting mix or just a potting mix,if it says mix there is no soil what so ever in this type of mix,but if you use potting soil,it most likely will not be sterile and damping off can occur .

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for clarifying. So new to propagating, as you know. Well I do have some Jiffy pellets...I can use that.

Dallas, TX

TROPICMAN, Hope that snow melts and does'nt come back. How big is your "bubble dome ". One layer of bubble? What kind of heater do you use in it? Great pics. of your Hibiscus. None of mine are blooming. Have a very warm and HAPPY NEW YEAR! Jerry.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hey Jerry
Well I really only built the bubble dome for 3 bananas to overwinter that flowered in October
and Novenmber,it's only 10x10x10.
I put a solar pool cover over hog panels then a 6 mil greenhouse poly over the solar bubble pool cover,to make a little airspace between the bubble and greenhouse poly.
All I have heating it is a oil filled radiator,the one from Walmart for 35 bucks,keeps it around 55* no matter how cold it gets so far,heats up to over 80* about everyday if the sun shines,if cloudy between 65 to 70*,had no idea it would work this good.
It lets enough light in for plumerias,Bouginvillas,and hibiscuses to bloom,plus letting th bananas flower and the fruit to keep ripening!
Yep had enough snow and ice for the winter.
Happy New Year to yours also!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Tman, does it have a floor in it, or just the ground? Sorry to be stupid, but inquiring minds wanna know! LOL

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Happy 2008 dear ones!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Its in front of my garage,and it has the cement from the driveway!!
Needless to say,can't put my truck in the garage,and wouldn't you know we'd get all this snow!!!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

But the plants are more important, right?! LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Jaye,give kel a kiss or two!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep,been trying to fruit bananas for 10 years,and when I got this close before had a heart attack and went to the hospital 5 by-pass and was halloween weekend we had a freeze and lost my bunch of bananas,when came home 2 days later they were all black!
Wasn't going to let that happen again!!!LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

SO sorry to hear about your heart attack! And I bet it didn't help a bit when you came home to black nanners! I hope these will flourish and bring some beautiful ones!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Me too and there looking good so far!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Looking real good TM!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW those are huge!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,they say it takes 6 to 9 months to ripen during the winter timeso come early summer hope to be eating home grown nanners!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Those will be MMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM delicious!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I hope so,everybody says it will be the best banana you'll ever eat,and I eat 3 a day!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Now that is A LOT of nanners!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Number one fruit in the world!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I think our 5 year old daughter might be able to keep up with you and your nanners! :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'll just take that bet!!!LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, if I can get mine to germinate I will let her know she has to try to keep up with the Tman! LOL
Still laughing from the other thread!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well those will be little finger nanners,I'll send you big banana plants come spring!!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Shaun says he can only build green houses so fast! LOL
SHHHHHHHH that's ok, I want em anyway! HE HE HE

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Tell him to get a air nail gun,man you can build fast with them,Me and 2 of my suns built the greenhouse on the north side of my house,with treated lumber and finished it off with the hard poly plastic,we had it done in one day!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

He just mentioned the other day that he was gonna have one before we do the one on the back of the garage! LOL
He actually said he wanted one for Christmas, so I got to tell him Christmas was over!!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Did he say which Xmas???LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.