Coming home from birding.............

Klamath River, CA

I spotted these two youg bucks and.....................

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

older brother maybe. All three were together.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics adel! Their beautiful !

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

very nice pics ... and gorgeous lil bucks.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice shots. Deer are sure beautiful when they are not eating my lillies.
Were they close, or did you zoom in?
I love it when I can sneak in close, you can see all their whiskers. About that time, they start licking their nose and then all you see is a white tail. You never even see them turn around.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Adelbert, Good shot of the bucks. They are sure trying to get into my yard now that everything is covered with snow. Each time I go out and open the gate the area outside is really trampled over with deer foot prints.

Donna

Klamath River, CA

cpartschick.............The first two about thirty feet away. The third was about forty feet.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is pretty close, good shooting. Nice bonus to the birding trip for sure.

Klamath River, CA

cpartschick.............during the spring and summer I have four bucks and a doe that come within eight feet of me when I'm on the front porch at the right time. I'll try to find a pic showing this.

Klamath River, CA

Here's one. I have better ones if I can find them. Have to brave the storm and go to town now.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Very nice!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Those are wonderful shots. Thanks for sharing.
The deer must feel very comfortable around you.
I once had a button buck walk towards me. I had been on the quad when I spotted him. I walked towards him until he got nervous and then stood very still, he got within about 5 feet before figuring out that I was something he should be scared of and fled. It was a great moment.

Klamath River, CA

On another birding trip to the Coast I came upon five bull Elk grazing along the Highway. They were so similar they looked liked they had been cloned.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

This is one of the four bucks that come by quite often during the spring and summer.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You sure have some wonderful pictures there!
The kids got me a trail camera for Christmas, so I could get pictures of the wildlife in the woods.
Directions state that they do not work well in freezing temps. LOL that is most of the year! I put it out anyway a couple warmer days. I set it to take 2 pictures every time it was tripped.
I would get a closeup of a deer and then the second picture...gone! The flash must have scared the wits out of them, as they were too close.
Can't post the pictures until I get a card reader for this old computer. Hope to get some good bobcat, coyote, and fox pictures.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

cparts--so glad you got a trail camera for Christmas--they are a blast! We have three (no digital yet) and we have so much fun with them. Plan to put all three out after hunting season shuts down the end of this month.

Klamath River, CA

cpartschick............I'm thinking about getting a trail camera....what model is yours and how do you like it?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It is a moultrie 4.0 digital. Gamespy D40
Not really expensive, about a hundred bucks.

I like it alot. There are so many different kinds out there. The kids picked this one, I would have had a hard time choosing, not knowing enough about them..
This one has a flash. There are infared ones out there too. Sometimes the flash scares the deer. (if they are within a couple feet of the camera). Infared I think, takes more batteries.

Some cameras come with veiwing right on the camera, this is good, but the battery life suffers greatly.
Mine is pretty basic, flash, lazor sighting (easy to use) on a 2 gig card it holds 1000 pictures on the highest quality setting. Straps to a tree. (I added a cable and paddlock)
I use my digital picture frame to view my pictures (until I get a card reader)

You can set the camera for how many pictures to take at each time the sensor is tripped. Then the rest time between tripping.
For example, I have mine set to take 2 pictures, and be dormant for at least 10 minutes between. The first night out, it was tripped 11 times (22 pictures). Time stamp tells you the time of each event. Those darned deer came in just after full dark and in every hour or half hour till 6am and that was it.
All pictures were taken below freezing temps. Even though that is not recommended. There was also sleet and snow that night and it was no problem. Next night was 6" of snow, only tripped 5 times, but even through the nasty weather, I go good pictures.

I expect pictures of bears, cougars, ufo's, bigfoot etc in the spring. LOL

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 7:36 AM

Klamath River, CA

cpartschick.....I did some comparison on line and had just about came to the conclusion that the Moultrie Game Spy D40 was what I wanted. After reading what you think of it, I ordered one. Thanks for the info. Since I live in the heart of Big Foot Country we'll be able to compare photos of them soon ..) The trees here are too tall and too close to the house so we are not bothered by UFOs.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Well now you will know with that camera! Little green men looking right into the flash.

Hope you like it. I had to take it down, due to cold weather, but in the spring I will have fun playing with it for sure.

It did warm up here, unusually warm for this time of year. But I will wait till spring. Pouring rain and thunderstorm...in Jan. It will make everything pretty slippery for sure when it freezes back.

At first I put the camera about 50 feet from a food source for the deer. It was too far to get clear pictures with the flash for most pictures. I then moved it to very, very close and got some nice close pictures, but the second picture the deer were gone, flash must have scared them. All does and fawns so far. This is no surprise as we have a bad ratio. About 20 to one near as I can figure. This is not healthy for the herd.

Klamath River, CA

Stephen King says they are gray.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, so that is what those gray things were. Ü

Klamath River, CA

This is a frequent visitor.....a Gray fox.....at least I don't think it's one of King's Gray men.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh my! what a great picture. Great catch!

I have seen the fox around here a few times, but usually very early in the morning, before daylight. They are more shadows than anything. I love the way they sneak around. And was surprised that the gray and red fox (we have both) are so different in size. I thought they were just different in color.

Yours looks young? Like a puppy face.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

adelbert, what a great photo. I saw one several years ago a few miles from here. We have lots of coyotes, hear them almost every night.

Now I have to really watch my little dog when i let her out. The bald eagles are busy cleaning up road kill and are flying over my house quite often.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Klamath River, CA

rutholive.............Your right, coyotes will go after domestic dogs and cats.

Klamath River, CA

Went birding today and ran ino two wild beasts.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 6:44 PM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

and

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Look at those tails. What beautiful tree rats you got there.

Marlton, NJ

LOL, I always have to keep myself from calling them that.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

adelbert, great shots of the squirrels. Don't have any here at this place. At my other garden had too many and they always ate the nuts before they got ripe. so I don't really miss therm.

Donna

Klamath River, CA

These guys live about 15 miles away so they don't bother me.

Klamath River, CA

out birding again and came across this ferocious beast.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2008 6:54 PM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

adelertcat, very good shots. what birds did you see. I always enjoy driving along Klamath lake and seeing all the different water fowl, when we are on our way to Reno on bus trip. My friend Jane and are leaving here early 4:00 am to drive to Wenatchee where we will board the bus. we are leaving Sun. MAR.2. I enjoy the trip and leaving the driving to them. Only thing is if there is something interesting to see or if one wants to take a side trip, can't stop. Do you live right in KF. Good birding. The county and side roads are not free of snow and ice, so I don't go out in the hill birding yet for awhile.

Donna

Klamath River, CA

Rutholive.........I live in Hamburg Ca. which is 17 miles West of Klamath River Ca. on Highway 96... I do like to go to the Klamath Basin (Klamath Falls, Tule Lake and the Lower Klamath Lake). There are a huge number of bird species in that area (depending on the time of year) right now the Bald Eagles are there. I'm hoping to make a trip there soon. If you do a google seach for Tule Lake NWR you can get a lot of info about the area.

Klamath River, CA

Another vicious critter making his get-a-way.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

and success

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Glenview, IL

I am so glad to have wondered through.

Loving your Bucks!
...The Eagle........What can I say, I am jealous! Flying over your house!! Spectacular!!

got a squirrel critter, smile we named him Chubby! steals all the bird seed.

I truley enjoyed my visit.

...hehhe, will come back again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.