Choosing for New Year's Dinner

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Broccoli, cauliflower, collards, carrots, mustards, rutabaga, spinach, and turnips all ready to pick.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Of course the collards will be first.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Yumm! Send me up some of those collards!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Me too!

They look wonderful!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are nice looking collards and veggies!
New Year's Dinner going to include some blackeyed peas?

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 1:17 PM

Oh, Frm. Dill, they look fabulous!

I've been picking Asian mustards, lettuces, baby collards & arrugla. Tatsoi has been especially delectable too with a few nights of nippy weather.

GGG

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Southern peas, but not blackeyes. A nice little cream pea (Tommy). ggg, it has been a trial, but eveything has really taken off with the December rain. A little later and smaller than usual, but really coming on now. Most pleasant surprise, the Savannah mustard, really superior to Tendergreen. Georgia is great, particularly in the winter.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

looking good, good !!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm going to try growing some cream peas this year.
How's the water situation in GA now?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

We gained almost 4 inches in December, saved us from setting a record for low rainfall. The lakes have not gained a lot tho. Need a lot of rain in the winter and early spring to bring them anywhere near full stage. I am on the Savannah River, so Augusta is not hurting as bad for potable water as the Atlanta area. Of course they are always talking interbasin transfer and stealing our water.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WOW! Your quite fortunate to be able to garden all winter. What's your coldest temps there?

I usually get spinach to grow all winter. but I guess I planted mine way too late this fall and it didn't get enough sun or warmth to grow out any before cold weather stunted it for good. I'll learn next fall.

I envy you with all those lovelies at your fingertips.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Our record for January is two below, Most of the time tho, low teens. It never lasts long, we can be in single digits one week and pushing 80 the next. Temps are really up and down in winter here. I cut all the cauliflower just before last weeks cold snap, Everything but the collards and spinach got frost burn, but is leafing back out with this weeks hot spell. Looks bad but no permanent damage. Cauliflower can't take temps below about 22.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.