Help ID plant in Western Ireland

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

We were in County Clare in September and encountered many blooming plants that looked familiar - but just not quite the same as at home in the States (zone 5). This is a picture of one of them. These hedges lined rock walls and roadways and yards. They were in the towns and countryside in great numbers - often elbowing for space with the ripe brambles; about six to eight feet tall. Thanks for a name..
Louise

Thumbnail by GreenAtHeart
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi GreenAtHeart, I think it is Fuchsia magellanica.
Not 100% sure though about the specie name, but for sure there will pop in someone who will correct me when wrong.

Long ago, in the early 80's I've also visited a couple of times Ireland and also noticed these lovely Fuchsia hedges all over.
Nice to hear they are still there..

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I will also say it looks like an Fuchsia magellanica, look at my picture of different magellanica here
http://www.hobbyodlaren.com/fuchsia.html
I had 5 different earlier, but now they all gone, had problem to overvinter.
Sylvia

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Yes, the wild fuchsia in Ireland is Fuchsia magellanica - introduced from Chile originally.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Fuchsia magellanica for me too.

Resin

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for the responses and, of course, you're right-on. Here in the upper mid-west, that plant is not hardy.
I wasn't sure what it was because of the great size. The only fuchsias I have ever seen here were in hanging baskets on the porch for the Summer - possible 20 inches across with a "drop" of 8 inches or so. We never were able to successfully carry them over the winter in the house. Too dry, I guess.
The area we were in had everything from Alpine plants to "palm" trees - and I took as many pictures of flowers as I did castles.
Thank you again!
Louise

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

These are usually hardy here where we are much colder than Ireland, but in really bad winters the tops can be killed off, and they grow again from the roots (usually). A thick mulch in autumn usually protects them.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

This looks like the form Riccartonii, which is used for hedging and is said to be the hardiest of the magellanicas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.