Is it a good time to spread compost ontop of cannas

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I have three large garbage bags of compost and am aching to get it spread. Should I spread it a top my Cannas? I clipped off the frozen bit stems and leaves already.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I don't apply compost to my cannas because they are such tough and hardy plants, they fend for themselves with little care. I have cut off about 1/2 of my cannas, haven't gotten around to cutting the rest but I will after the cold spell we're supposed to be getting.

I prefer to use my black gold on other kind of plants, such are roses, fancy tropicals. But I would do that in Feb/Mar. Now mulch I would do right now to provide protection from cold and hopefully to smother those pesky weeds that peek out at my at all times.

Vossner,

Thanks!

Plano, TX

when you say you cut half your canna--do you mean you cut half of them down to the ground? mine are still green and standing--should i wait to cut them down?

linda, I meant I have cut 1/2 as in 5 of about 10 that I grow. Those 5 were cut pretty close to the ground. I have yet to cut the remaining 5, which will also be cut to the ground.

If yours are green and the leafs are intact (not munched up by those pesky borers), I see no reason to cut them down. Mine were just ratty looking and a haircut just seems to refresh them.

Plano, TX

mine are not pretty! i just wondered if it was healthier for the plant to cut it to the ground or let it wait till spring-- i can't pull them up or the bulb comes up with them-are you ordering from the canna co op?

L, in my area it doesn't seem to matter much when I whack them. But since you are a little bit cooler, I hope somebody in the Dallas area posts here to share their experience. My guess is that it wouldn't make much diff. for you, either.

I trim them whenever I get sick of their rattinesss. they always come back stronger.

You're right. don't pull them, the rhizomes easily come up. Do so only if you are thinning them out. Otherwise, haircut is enough.

I am not a huge canna lover, mainly because I want the room to plant other things and with cannnas being so vigorous well...you get the pic. I was looking and lusting after Horn's Tropical Sunrise and Primrose yellow. With only two rhizomes it's not making economic sense to get them. I am checking around with a couple of neighbors to see if they want to get some with me and if I'm successful I will participate in the canna coop. Plus I love JanetS, I know if she's behind this project, it's a good thang!

Plano, TX

well i am not a huge canna lover either because mine always seem to look a little ratty but i think i would like to try the smaller ones and put them in front of my taller ones and that would help--i have never done anything to help my canna look better --they might look prettier if i didn't just take them for granted!

I give mine a hair cut too when they begin to look ratty. I enjoy my cannas because they require little help from me. They get water during the warmer months from A/C water.

Plano, TX

i had bannana plants once and i felt the same about them--they got kind of big and ratty and yet i know people love them---------i guess if i was a little better at planning where to put things then the tall, gangly stuff would be behind the shorter pretty stuff--and i will get to that point--i know i will!!!-------

linda,

I'm guilty of the same thing. Often times I plant to close or don't think ahead when planting.

Plano, TX

i will never have a totally planned out garden because i like to be spontaneous but last year i planted zinnias that were so pretty--but they were HUGE and were in front of all the smaller flowers! i just looked at the picture on the little seed bag and forgot to look at the size!!!!

I know what you mean I'm trying to do a better job myself. I'm planning on planting some vegetables and am anxious to get started, but I need to plan first.

Plano, TX

i'm trying some veggies this summer too! i am going to put them in with flowers and other plants i think--rather than a veggie garden--then maybe next year i will do a "real" vegetable garden if i have good luck with this summers produce!! i love fresh tomatoes -- tried to grow some last spring and they made nice plants but no tomatoes!!

I'm debating raised beds. I've bought some spinach, swish chard and onions for now. Problem is where I want to plant them my compost piles are. Oh Well! It may just give me a chance to turn my piles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.