Bugs in the garden question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have a lot of potato bugs (?) in my iris garden. They don't seem to do any harm to anything they're just plain annoying. Does anyone know if they do any damage? Are they what is digging holes in the garden? (I'm not sure potato bug is the right name for them but since where the irises are planted grew potatoes in the past so my family has always called them "potato bugs."
Thanks.

Lebanon, OR

Now this is what I grew up knowing as a potato bug

Hope this helps

http://www.potatobugs.com/

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks A.
The potato bug I have is the one that irisloverdee sent the link to.
Doesn't sound like they do any harm in the garden and now I know to clean up the debris a little better as to not allow them to have shelter.
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Lebanon, OR

We had them when we lived in CA and I hated them. UGLY critters and even tho I knew they would not hurt me, I hated them and killed them as soon as I could.

D

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That's what I do now. I think they're the critters that are digging holes in the garden...and then there's the gophers...bigger holes.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love the Potato Bug link. I am wondering who I can send a Potato Bug greeting card to -- who would laugh, not hate me or decide I was insane.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Ick, don't send me one! I can't stand the site of them!

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

In Oklahoma we get grasshoppers darned near as big as bull frogs, they eat the leaves of the iris down to nubbs in the summer. They then look ragged and pitiful til next spring puts on new growth

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, I understand about grasshoppers. We get them, too, but not as bad as you do. Have you ever tried Nolobait, the non-toxic biological grasshopper killer? it works for me.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

no I haven't tried that. another mostly organic gardening friend suggested a product call Tempo. My problem is I have such a large acerage and most of that stuff is super expensive.

Does Nolobait kill the existing grasshopper or just keep them from reproducing?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I believe it does both. It is expensive. I believe it is best to spread it when the grass hoppers are 1 inch or smaller. They eat it, become sick, and quit eating -- as I recall. Next time you are at a plant store read the label. Supposedly it is slow starting, but works best on the second and third generations of the critters. Check it out, it has been a while since I used it but it did work at the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.