Um...hi...I'm new here...

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Ya'll are tooooo funny, Hey come on down. We love company!!! Mopsy & Spot will even share the couch (welll, Mopsy will) Spot has an attitude problem. And we can put some in our guest house out back... (well, it is on wheels, but cozy)
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Is Spot the one in the blue?

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

Or is the one in the blue Mopsy?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I think the one in the blue is not happy about his pic being taken, poor guy. LOL

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Good thing the one in blue got his chair before there weren't any left . . . looks like my house.

At 74 degrees, I could sleep outside and be doing just fine!! Thanks for the invite!!

I'm singin' Georgia, Georhorhorgia - just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind . . .

K59...I'm there. Smelling peach blossoms (do they smell? I know orange blossoms are heavenly), sitting on the ol' porch swing sipping on a mint julep, fanning myself with grannie's hand fan ~ *ahhhhhhhh* I'm there. Sign me up.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

She'SSSS done flu the coop, not in Washington anymore. LOL
Got 3" of snow today what did PA get.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

ROTHFLMAO.....the "poor" spoiled one in blue was probably worrying about his precious Spot being disturbed.. Or maybe that Ms Kitty would slap him... In order is my DH, Spot, Mopsy, Ms Kitty. What is a mint julep anyway ? Never had one. I need to ask my friend from Mississippi. Peach blossoms and cherry blossoms do not smell (sad).., but ahhhh those orange blossoms.. uh oh, now ya'll are going to slap me. Cherry trees in Macon, Georgia (cherry tree capital of the world) come on spring,,sighhhh
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Speaking of WINTER aromas...the sarcococca is blooming. What a strong sweet fragrance that is, and you can hardly tell where the flower is that its coming from, they're so inconspicuous. I wonder if the snow this morning brought out those flowers.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

LOVE the sarcococca. Flower World in Maltby has a ton of them for great prices - I'll bet they go fast once people smell the aroma.

Elaine - don't get too excited about the mint julep. Years ago I traveled to New Orleans and ordered my first mint julep to celebrate my first trip to the South. Yechhhhh. It's bourbon and sugar water with a sprig of mint - definitely not my cup of tea. Sounds much better than it is. 'Course, I'm not a bourbon drinker, in general (can you tell?). LOL

Can hardly wait for the cherry trees to come out. We have quite a few up here, but I'll bet they start blooming long after yours do.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

ahhh - the wait. But I love to see the flowering plums budding out - the colour & that wonderful light aroma. And the Bees buzzing! Can't we hurry this winter on its way?

Sarcococca in bloom - and bulbs are pushing up their fat noses. Hmmm, the slugs have been out & about, too. Can't blame them though.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Lets not rush the year - I find they go far too fast as it is.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't mean to hijack the thread but,, My Kitty is in Vet's hospital, 14 years old. Fluid around heart. Please keep her in your thoughts and pr.
Stay safe with all the bad weather around.
Elaine

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, Elaine, I'm so sorry. Hang in there-don't give up too soon! I had one with congestive heart failure, and with medication we kept her comfortable and happy for a year-and that was more than 10 years ago. I'm sure the treatments are even better now. Don't give up!

:( poor kitty!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Elaine - I'm so sorry. You guys have been together a long time. Thanks for letting us know. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Kathleen

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Your kitty is in my pr, I would hate to have something happen to mine

This is the hardest thing in the world about having furkids...hope Ms. Kitty does well.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks,, ya'll are so sweet. I posted on the pet forum. and yes, the hardest part of having these furbabies is making decisions like this.
brrr, 3 inches of snow.. we got some more wonderful rain last night,,helps relieve some of the drought we've had.
Elaine

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Rain is good!! Wish we could send some of ours your way. :-)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

send all that rain. We live on high ground... LOL
Elaine

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Outta,
I was a brand new gardner last spring. After 30 years of apt living, I couldn't figure out what to plant. I just walked through a nursery and picked up what I thought was pretty, unusual, or smelled good. My area is almost all full sun and you have more of a selection. The most unusal would have to be the astilbe, gayfeather (flower grows the opposite way) lobelia cardinal, homestead verbena was the biggest and healthiest. Garden phlox (david) was the most fragrant along with a butterfly bush. I planted 30 different plants, had no idea of what I was doing (other than people from DG helping) and managed to not kill a one. The ones that appeal to me are the ones that attract the hummingbirds and butterflies. On line it is easy to find out what those are. So it's just a matter of preference, soil and sun or shade. Good luck
Vicki

Thanks Vicki ~ Sounds like I'm in the same boat you were in last year. Hopefully I'll have the same level of success. My problem is that I want to plant EVERYTHING I see but know it's not possible so will have to be somewhat selective. I, too, want to attract hummers and b-flies, want lots of color and fragrance, and want it to look nice as well. Everyone here has been SO helpful, I just don't see how I can go wrong! Thanks for the welcome...maybe well meet at the Green Elephant? ~ Sheri

WARNING: SERIOUS PIXY-RANT AHEAD. PLEASE SIT DOWN TO READ, FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY. SERIOUS FOOT STOMPING ACTION AHEAD, HANDS ON HIPS. BUMBLEBEE BOOTS ON FEET.

What??? Did I read that correctly?? LOL!!You mean it isn't possible to plant everything?? Why didn't someone inform me of that? I believe that must be what I am doing wrong- I am continually under the impression that I can plant everything and should do so! I had no idea that I was supposed to be more selective, and here you are just starting out and already you are trying to limit yourself. This is a problem. How are you supposed to develop a perfectly healthy and desirable plant addiction (like the rest of us) if you start out by thinking about being selective? I thought that was why God invented Mother Nature. You just plant everything you like, enjoying things such as leaf texture, color, flower shape, fragrance, etc, and Mother Nature takes care of the selecting. Is that wrong? If that's not a no-fail method, I am in deeeep doo doo. My motto is: Buy plants with impunity and abandon! Keep Mother Nature employed!
If you don't have a serious pot ghetto by next fall, this group has not done an adequate job of nurturing you into the fold. I'm not exactly sure where we are going wrong.....

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I second that Pix!

I love this group - I get more laughs per day than any one of a serious nature (MOI??) is allowed - I am way over my budget!!!

I am afraid Outta and Vicki - Pix has stated the absolute truth. Keep mother nature employed.

Now we are also looking for volunteers to join the cement mixer brigade and we are meeting in the back of RR's mantruck for the easter parade: Pix has a red one, I have an orange one, and Rach has decided on Green. We still need purple, yellow and blue cement mixers. Katies which colours are you signing up for? Oh, Heidi must be yellow and wear rain gear. tills you are with me - as we have just got you outfitted in good weather gear. Ohhh, Murmur could be purple if Steve is feeling better.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey Outta,
You are already one step ahead of me. Nobody told me it was supposed to LOOK NICE too. Smell good, pretty colors yea but nobody said nothing about looking nice. lol. If there is a small spot and I have a small plant it's gonna look nice. Or else. I planted a hydrangea pretty near the house (against it) the only place I have any shade. Not really sure how its supposed to spread and grow right there, it's only 2 feet now. But the flowers are beautiful and I expect it to adapt. Unfortunately I am in a rental duplex. If I ever get booted out maybe we'll have our first DG's "I'll be if I am leaving all my babies in the ground here, mass dig up and transplant." Even if I go where I don't have a yard, I'd rather let you guys have my plants and flowers than leave them for the landlord. But I think every plant I have in the back is hummy and butterfly attractor. It also attracts the bees but they really don't bother you if you don't bother them. The one thing I did do as a new gardener last year, was love them almost too death. Being in the PNW I figured they couldn't stand being as hot as they were getting and I am horrible about overwatering. Be careful with that. That mine came back after that is a testament to their will not my caring.
Vicki

Gee guys...*sniff ~ sniff*... I stand firmly corrected and adequately chastised (hanging head in shame...eyes downcast and filled with tears). I WILL plant EVERYTHING...I SWEAR! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING! I suppose it may possibly be traced back to some recessive anal-retentive gene in my pool (maybe the gene pool needs some chlorine?). The whole reckless abandon thing is tough for me ~ you know, a place for everything and everything in its place? As an example, when planting the initial bulbs received from mom last year, they were nice and evenly spaced and the colors were ordered just so. BUT. . .I was able to take my first step toward disorder when I added bulbs this year (and will continue to do so as more and more bulbs become available to me, I PROMISE). After making the border and filling with compost, I simply dug a hole, dropped in the bulb, covered and moved on. I have no idea where the bulbs are or what I put in each hole. Is that good? Did I do right? Is that how it's supposed to be? I do have several empty pots which will be filled this weekend with something.

I have already written 100 times "I will plant everything I see." I hope this is adequate atonement for my sin (gazing coyly upward making minimal eye contact with a sheepish grin). I will accept whatever penance/punishment you deem fit for the crime ~ *sigh*

Well, first, let's get rid of that nasty little anal retentive gene. You stand the risk of joining forces with the 'horitcultural designers' unit if you keep that in place. We cannot have that. So it must go. Second, you must begin to realize that the entire reason to be attracted to gardening at all is to develop a finely honed sense of that 'reckless abandon' that you throw so casually into the conversation. This must be a side of you that is longing to be set free. Good work. Yes, every bulb has its place. Its place is in the ground. Preferably not in military order next to its neighbor. Groups, swathes, rivers, plots. That's what we want with bulbs. Order is in the eye of the beholder and Mother Nature obhors a straight line, except in geometry. Do not worry. It will not be chaos, as so many of the AR types fear. It will simply be fabulous.
Ah, good. Reference to empty pots that will be filled. You are on your way. Whew! That was close but you are a quick study!

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Melissa, not fair! You have a magical rainbow thumb. My first year I did plant with abandon and Mother Nature was not amused. Plant after plant drooped and withered! Only when I learned partial sun meant more than 1/2 hour on mid-summer's day did I reduce my crimes against nature. LOL Good luck Sheri, since I see you have mostly full-sun (I'm so envious) your nursery should be a virtual smorgas board of possibilities.
Katy

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Not much to say after all that, I think all was covered.
With you Laurie, this is gonna be fun>>>>>

As far as bulbs go I heard to just toss them and plant them where they land.
And if said plant doesnt like where it is move it.

Have fun Outta, you have just been initiated Into our world of gardeing.

And will be there with bells on Vicky to help get your babies out of there if you ever leave there

You see Katy? Mother nature did her job with you and you learned brilliantly!! Why deny others the same learning opportunity? Your gardens are now perfectly delightful and wonderful. Fair is fair. I was just waxing poetic in my own mind the other day about how when I was a younger and less experienced gardener, I planted some kind of big leaved maple tree smack in the middle of my smallish front yard. Then I wondered why the grass around it died. I'll bet that tree is a monster by now, if it's still there. These learnings are necessary, just like cutting teeth. There is nothing in the least magical about my thumb (although I do have a nice relationship with the fairies and their thumbs are definitely magic. What passes for miraculous on one plane of reality is simply a daily occurance on another.) . I kill more plants than anyone would care to guess. It's always about learning because no one will ever know everything.
Tills has the key: if the plant doesn't like it where you put it, move it. So far that is working for me. I tried the 'throw them in the air and plant them where they land' routine with bulbs. Sometimes that works well for me, but more often than not I feel as though I have scattered little bits of color here and there but no real impact. No doubt that's because the garden is still 'young'.
And I envy outta's full sun, too.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Actually Pixs,
You and all lot of others gave me that key when I was a newby.

Well, hey! I knew it was a good one! Now you are passing it on, too!! See how that works?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Just trying to help LOL

Pix, wow I think there was an extra shot in that Latte - what energy, what clarity! what thumbs - I am printing this off and pasting it to the inside of the shed with highlighted areas! I am swearing the oath of office to cast my bulbs and digdigdig for anarchy - I will never again leave a purchased plant in ambiguous unplantedness - I vow to make my spade my constant companion and true helpmate, my wheelbarrow my steady steed. I will sleep in my wellies, and wear my muddy kneed corduroys to bed ready to spring forth at the earliest planting light. I promise to push every horticultural boundary (including my neighbours), extend every kelvin of dying light for further excavation. I will be a profoundly committed gardener in 2008, and forever more! Lead us on into green victory!

Phew, I knew a cuppa tea after all that rousing vowing!

HUZZAH, HUZZAH, HUZZAH! Ladies. . .I devotedly follow in the footsteps of those who have blazed the trails before me! I bask in your auras of green. I, too, place my hand upon my Sunset Western States Garden Book and swear the PNW oath! Thank you all. I will be forever in your debt. You've saved me from a life of order and plunged me into chaos! I am ON. . .MY. . .WAY. . .!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I too vow my oath to all the fairies and garden sprites that I will remember what is true in my heart, to always garden with reckless abandon, joy and sheer silliness!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Whoa! - that was not a rant Pix: you was testifyin'!
(did anyone pass the collection plate?)

As far as I can tell, there are 3 limitations to planting: $ / time / soil space.
AND, there are ways around all three, some more circuitous than others...

Back to Sheri: being selective is not a negative. All anarchists follow priorities in some manner. There are no rules here except for those based in logic that govern the health of the plant & the gardeners, which is why Pix had a truly visceral reaction...we revel in our respective botanical vices, as well as find great respite there: a haven for the addict. Our well-being is dependant upon the furthering of nurturing plants. This requires extreme dedication, energy & a location for the acquisitions to call home. We simply make ourselves available for plant stewardship...how could we turn another away? Why, it wouldn't be right!
Sheri - your penance is to acquire more of whatever plants rock your world!

As far as bulb planting goes: don't fling individual bulbs: place them lovingly in a 2 - 3 gallon nursery pot & fling that! They will land in such a manner that ensures them being long-term neighbours.
Pix - Love the BumbleBee Boots. Wings/Pollen breeches included?

Vicki - whew! nice intro to the PNW!
Sounds like you did right with the plants you adopted. In regards to the survival of your plants: so true, so true. Everything wants to live, and will try hard to do so despite the circumstances. This is but one reason why plants amaze me...

Kingston, WA

not many of you know but I am from Bainbridge which is kind of like belluve and my mom who is a little embarassed by my fine clothing attire bought me these fine red and blue plaid rubber boots. I'm quite stylish from my knees down

My only rule is right plant right place. Shade plants in shade ect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.