CLOSED: Identify This Bird Please Vol. 1

Marlton, NJ

Heres the start of a thread where anyone can post photos of a bird they've seen but are not sure which type it is.

LOL, Yes I know mines a White-breasted Nuthatch. (male)

Please remember this thread is only for identity purposes not regular postings.

Thank You :-)

This message was edited Dec 29, 2007 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This is a bad pic but I was inside and the tree was in the field! I think it might be a Loggerhead Shrike, although I've never seen one before!

Thanks,
Rose

Thumbnail by dellrose
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for starting this thread. I think it's a great idea. I have a few unidentified bird images in my files.

I'll start off my unidentified photos with this one. I have no idea ...... It was taken on October 15, in Maryland.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Linth, Lets see what Resin says but it looks like a Pine Warbler to me.

Sorry Dellrose I can't see that well enough to make a guess but maybe Resin will.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I know this is an easy one for you birders. This ID me thread is a wonderful idea! I'm just now getting to know the birds around my home even though I've lived in the area for my whole life, so I'm sure I'll be posting some common birds that I just never learned the name of.

Here's my first. I know they are some type of nuthatch, but I don't know what kind. Are they both males or are males and females similar?

Thumbnail by PeeperKeeper
(Zone 9a)

linthicum, maybe a juvenile Sharp-tailed Sparrow.

Did you hear it make any noise?

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's another. This is the first bird I saw on the feeder I put out for Goldfinches. Can you tell from this pick if that's what this is?

(Zone 9a)

PeeperKeeper, did you hear anything like "yank"?

Lets go with White - breasted Nuthatch. :)

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

peeperkeeper, those are the Red-breasted Nuthatches. Notice the female on the right has duller breast color.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, I know that really wasn't fair since that photo is so far away. I hoped maybe someone who's good with photo editing could pull it and take a closer look, but here's the same photo cropped. When I first cropped it I thought it made it fuzzier, but now I see it's better than I thought. I'll try cropping/zooming a little more.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks tigerlily! I suspected it was a pair and that the female was the one on the right, but she didn't seem that much duller than the male so I wasn't sure.

I cropped the suspected GF pic some more. See if this is better.

Wasilla, AK

Dellrose it looks like a Kesteral from here.
D

Wasilla, AK

linthicum it doesent strike me as a Pine. Maybe a female yellowrump
D

Wasilla, AK

PeeperKeeper I would go with GF
D

(Zone 9a)

PeeperKeeper, Did you take those pictures in Texas?
If so, lets go with WHITE - Breasted Nuthatch.

I could possibly go with Pigmy Nuthatch.
Maybe even Velvet - Fronted Nuthatch if you were in Southeast Asia,
but that isn't a Red - Breasted Nuthatch.

Oh - and the sexes are similar. If you can put it in my hand I can let you know. :)

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, the pics were taken right in the middle of Texas. . . Georgetown, just North of Austin to be exact. Are Red-breasted nuthatches not found here?

Yay! Doug, I'm glad to hear that feeder is attracting just what I hoped it would! I think I need a bigger one though.

OOOh! I see a cardinal out the window right now! Gotta go!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Doug...the size is about right. I will try and find it again and get a better pic. I was just excited to see a new bird and got carried away posting that lousy pic!

Germinator...that pic looks exactly like my pics in both of my bird books and I would say they are Red Breasted Nuthatch, although I am certainly no expert!This is the White Breasted Nuthatch that live in our area. :0)

Peeper...That sure looks like the wings of a Goldfinch!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, dellrose. I just googled red breasted nuthatch and it looks the same as the picture and it does say their winter range includes central TX.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-breasted_Nuthatch_dtl.html#range

I missed getting a pic of the card. Oh well.

(Zone 9a)

Yes, dellrose is right. :)

Sorry! Juvenile RED - Breasted Nuthatch. :)

I should have been in bed over twelve hours ago.

Goodnight all :)

Marlton, NJ

Peeper- Red- breasted Nuthatch.

LOL, I thought the same thing (American Kestrel) Doug.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
This is a bad pic but I was inside and the tree was in the field! I think it might be a Loggerhead Shrike, although I've never seen one before!

American Kestrel
Quoting:
I'll start off my unidentified photos with this one. I have no idea ......

Yellow-rumped Warbler (a.k.a. Myrtle Warbler), first-winter. The yellow flank is just visible; the Myrica (wax-myrtle) berry in its beak is also an indicator! - Yellow-rumped Warbler is one of not very many birds that can digest the wax in the berries, and therefore eats them a lot.
Quoting:
Here's my first. I know they are some type of nuthatch, but I don't know what kind

Red-breasted Nuthatch; male on the left (black crown), female on the right (dark grey crown). Not Pygmy, that doesn't have the white eyebrow.
Quoting:
I cropped the suspected GF pic some more

Yep, American Goldfinch

Resin

Marlton, NJ

LOL, I knew I would get the Warbler wrong thats the end for me and Warblers. :-)

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Resin for the ID! I love this thread!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Resin for your I.D. on my 'Yellow-rumped Warbler' and the supporting documentation. I appreciate everyone's input because that's how we all learn. As mentioned, I have a bunch of photos that need to be identified. I'll post them on this thread periodically.

Melbourne, FL

This Hawk was near a local Wal-Mart early this morning. Took me a while to get a shot, since it kept flying to a different lightpost when I got my camera ready for a shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Here are two pics of a new one for me.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Resin, Rump up, any arctic?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

and in these?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Here's one of many -- Disney Wilderness Preserve, south of Kissimmee FL, in early December -- with the zoom maxxed out.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
(Zone 9a)

I should know better than this.

Wait. I want to make sure Ms. dellrose isn't sneaking up behind me.
WHUEEE!!! :)))

I'm saying MAYBE a Shrike. ???Loggerhead or Northern???

I'll save this picture and see if I can get a better look at it.
Probably not.

see ya

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Loggerhead....closest Northern Shrike gets to Kissimmee is around Pennsylvania.

Guy in a restaurant in Kissimmee says to an employee "Just how do you say the name of this place?"

Employee said.... "B-u-r-g-e-r K-i-n-g"

Quoting:
This Hawk was near a local Wal-Mart early this morning

I'd go for juv. Sharp-shin, tho' it's a bit too distant to be 100% sure
Quoting:
Here are two pics of a new one for me

Again uncertain with the distance, but I'd say probably Eastern Phoebe.
Quoting:
Rump up, any arctic?

Nothing I can be definite on, but there's a very promising one you've posted on the Daily Pics 46 thread! Very white compared to the others, big-looking, and with almost no flank streaking
Quoting:
Disney Wilderness Preserve, south of Kissimmee FL

Agree, Loggerhead Shrike

Resin

Marlton, NJ

I'm assuming this is a Yellow-rumped Warbler but need to know for sure.

I was so happy to see him since I haven't seen one in my yard since last Fall.

Please excuse the pics it was very late in the day w/ no sun. 2 Pics

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Heres the yellow rump.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep....Butter Butt for sure

Marlton, NJ

Thought so; Thanks Ned!

Yep, ditto to OldNed

Resin

Klamath River, CA

Not very good pics but best I could get.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

+

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.