Spots on my Stictocardia! :-(

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi All,

I've been noticing spots taking over my beautiful Stictocardia. It has buds but it's looking very sickly. We've been putting down snail/slug bait (the powder) for a while because it's next to a chain link fence and the neighbors don't do much with their yard which means the snails have taken over and like to merge over on our side. Could the snail/slug powder be hurting the Stictocardia or is it something else? I'm so sad as I was really hoping to see the flowers bloom but the bud stems get weak and then they just drop off.

See the sad photo....

Thank you so much,
Nancy

Thumbnail by happy_girl

One other thing I should mention - it's been getting colder here in SoCal so I'm wondering if the spots and wilting leaves are from the cold weather at night?

I sure don't want to lose this plant but the buds are just dropping off and leaves that were perky and standing upright are wilting and shriveling up.

Thanks,
Nancy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The buds dropping could definitely be from cold weather. For the spots on the leaves, I suspect a bit of fungus caused by overhead watering or water splashing on the leaves. In the winter the water won't evaporate as quickly and fungus can grow. This problem will be worse if you water in the evening. I'd suggest as much as you can watering in the morning and only on sunny days, that way the leaves will dry out quickly.

Thank you ecrane. I trimmed off the leaves that had most of the spots on them and - although a little naked looking - it "seems" to be doing better. I also bought some fungus amongus (as my Dad would say) spray and applied it to the entire plant front side and back side. There are still buds going to town on it so I'm hoping for the best.

Thank you!
Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.