Her Majesty

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Hello. I'm new here in this forum. Just wanted to share a picture of my favourite Monarch that appeared in our papers recently.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

which is your favourite, the queen or the queen mother???????????????

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Well, both! I've always loved the pictures of the young Queen Elizabeth II. Those penny stamps made a lovely series [I collected stamps too]. Very neat features. I've always loved to read about the British Royal Family, the positives of course. The Queen Mother too... That Royal Look has never changed! Even the coin-reverses presented a very beautiful design.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Dinu...I too am an Anglophile.....do you have any other pics of QEII to post?? I loved Diana, but of course I also love the entire family. Could be because my children are verrrrrrrry distantly kin to Henry VIII...through one of his bastards!! Isn't that funny?? I hope the word b++++++ isn't bleeped! LOL

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Oh is it? Interesting anyway! I do not have photographs of QE. I have a couple of things of the time of KG V. Little ones, like a small portable mirror [now gone] with the Royal Couple's picture on it.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Connie, what a distinction! I too am an American who loves all things British. I was a much bigger 'royal watcher' when Diana was alive. But I still am completely enamored with anything to do with England. I'd love to live there for 6-12 months someday.

Gwen

I have alsorts of queen memorabilia including a newspaper from the day of the coronation in 1953.................... and the coin that was brought out to celebrate!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Gwen,

I too would love to live in England some day, but DH has lived/worked all over the world (in another life...haha) and wants to stay stateside now. Well, if my DH happens to preceed me (God forbid!) and I end up alone, and the same happens to you, look me up and we will rent a flat in Chelsea or Mayfair for six months! :-)

Also: You have D-mail from me.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh wow, Mr. K...how cool!

My DH and I were married in Scotland, and while we were there, P.Charles and his boys (in the days when Camilla was persona non grata!) attended a garden party on the gounds of some castle in Edinburgh. We didn't actually see them, but did talk to several guys in kilts who were leaving the party, and they said all were very personable! We watched people leave the party, and the "hat parade" was quite intertaining.

Now: Some of you might disagree with me, but after reading loads of books, etc. on Diana, I have come to the conclusion that "where there is smoke, there is at least a little fire" as far as she's concerned with their marriage. I don't believe Charles was totally at fault. And I do feel sorry for him that his parents forced him to marry a virgin when Camill- er. (don't like her at all, but I can't speak for his taste in women...she's probably loads to fun) was the love of his life!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Love the photo of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth! Didn't realize that she has surpassed Victoria in age while on the throne!

I loved Diana, too, such a pretty girl and beautiful princess, although found herself in quite a few messes unbecoming of a royal...

BTW, Charles could have married Camilla but he didn't propose to her when he had the chance so she married someone else...

We lived in London for a while back in the 70's (and even attended one of HRH's Silver Jubilee parties then) and visited quite often for business and pleasure since then.

Count me in on the London flat idea--although I would rather rent a 'cottage' out in the country somewhere and do garden touring (something I have never gotten to do--not DH's cuppa tea, you might say!)

TTFN (ta ta for now!)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tabasco....all rightttt...we now have 3 "flat mates" for our sojourn in London!! I"m serious...let's do it someday!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Oh, yes, I'm definitely planning to be out in the country somewhere, in a quaint little village. Definitely NOT in London! Although that would be fun to visit.

Gwen

Gwen

You would love it where i live................. out in the country in a village, perched on the edge of the lincolnshire wolds!!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Wow, more people that love the Queen!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, wait now. I said I loved England and all things English. Doesn't necessarily mean the Queen! LOL I have mixed feelings about her. Not living there and having better knowledge, I tend not to think about her too much. But I've always thought the deference one needs to pay her to be a bit much. Guess that's the American in me. I feel sorry for her. She seems lonely to me. And I do not think I'd want her as a mother. Or, heaven forbid, mother-in-law. However, compared to my feelings for a particular U.S. leader who shall not be named, I LOVE her. LOL

Gwen

There was a beautiful photo of the Queen standing with Prince Philip in 'Vanity Fair Magazine' this month in honor of her 60th year of reign (can that be right?)...she is a rather elegant and young looking 81 years old. From looking at the portrait one would never know that she has such divided opinion about her!

I ran into her a couple of years ago coming out of the Victoria & Albert Museum...she was with her children...I was so surprised and would not have recognized her except for the body guards and police who asked us walkers on the side walk to wait while she and the family group passed by. I think they were visiting a special exhibit about Queen Victoria and some palace keepsakes, as I recall. She was much shorter than I expected--and I was about five feet away from her. She was wearing a nice little hat, too!

There is a wonderful documentary put out by Danish Public Television that tells the story of all the european royal houses and their interrelationships...it's broadcast on Public TV once in a while and not to be missed if you are a royal watcher...hard to find, otherwise...Netflix doesn't have it at least last time I checked...

I used to be quite interested in the royals and tried to learn about all the relationships and toured the palaces and castles and so on but I have forgotten most of it.

I can fritter away a lot of time on the royals...! (-;

Tabasco
she is actually on her 55th year of reign.......... was 1952 she ascended the throne!! You are right one one part........... she is 81.

Mark

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

How I wish Crocosmia's picture accompanied tabasco's post there! Just within hand-shake distance! How hair-raising that could be! I've seen how the citizens adore the Royal family - in Mysore. So I know the sentimentality attached to such things. It's not new to me, I like it in fact. Do you know the Mysore King in the 1920s visited our house asking for gas for his car that had run out of it close by? This was narrated by my grandmother many years back. It seems the ladies of the house got the shock of their lives when they saw what they saw and recognized to be HH himself entering - the house where I now live!! He knew my g-g-father who was in a high office then.

Dinu, what a great story! If you were in America that would merit an historical marker on your house!

Mr. Croc-- I love your photo! She's always so perky in those bright pastels! That's what threw me when I saw her--she wore a moss green felt hat and a grey coat ('everyday wear', I suppose)--very practical looking but elegant still...it was January and cold...

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

That is a really pretty photo of her! Love the color and the hat. I think she looks a lot like her mom.

Tobasco, I agree with you - the royal houses and their histories are fascinating. I once took a college history class in English History. The teacher was really into it. It was a great class. It was a once a week evening class. It was like getting together to gossip once a week. LOL He was a fabulous teacher and he had a fabulous subject. Definitely one of my more memorable college courses.

Gwen

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow...that is a Great pic of her! I'm wondering if she would ever have had a little bit of a "nip-tuck"? Probably not, as she's more into hunting, dogs, etc.

Did any of you see the great film of her this past year? Can't remember the name, but I loved it!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

The one with Helen Mirren? The Queen. About how she dealt with Diana's death. It was wonderful.

Gwen

Yes, saw it. Loved all the palace drama!

I went on a Helen Mirren movie kick this fall--thought I saw most of hers then looked at Netflix and realized she did about a 100 movies...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.