Vitamins in the compost bin

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

I collected up all my vitamins and the ones that had expired I put them all in the compost bin, anyone else done this?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmm ... it's never even occurred to me to do that. I'd be curious to learn more about that. Particularly, any drawbacks to composting vitamins???

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't see why not, they break down.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I sometimes poke my old ones into the houseplant pots as well as putting them in the garden soil and compost.

Have any of you ever heard of using birth control pills to stimulate tomato production? I have heard of it for years and a friend of mine and her doctor who gave her some old pills both say it helps a lot.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Yeah... I have heard of the Pill helping, not sure why...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

but geez, aren't there concerns about hormones getting into the water supply from the current proper use of Pills? and in non-organic dairy?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah, I cannot help but feel a bit skeeved out by the notion, but perhaps I'm simply ignorant.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Dunno - has anyone heard anything other than anecdotal evidence that it's an issue? Knowing there's so much hormone use in our meat supply, I wonder if it's possible to tease out the different types or if they all break down to other substances at some point, and at which point, etc. etc. etc.

But putting expired BCP's in your houseplants shouldn't do *too* much damage.....

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have no clue as why BCPs would help tomatoes produce better. But few of us consume most of our houseplants so I don't see that using them for that would do any damage to us. And many would tell us that the OTC vitamin & mineral products are mostly useless to us anyway because so many of the vitamins and minerals in a one a day cancel each other out or are not available in that form, etc.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Its very difficult to decide what to do re supplements, because of all the 'news' stories. Beware of junk news. They have to write something attention-getting to sell.

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

Is it true that "OTC vitamin & mineral products are mostly useless to us anyway because so many of the vitamins and minerals in a one a day cancel each other out"?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Eat well and learn nutrition. You will live longer. Eat poorly and eat vitamins you will live shorter. It is what you eat not what you supplement. IMHO

Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

Too true. You can't live on vitamins can you? Ha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.