Strange and beautiful. ID?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Found these growing in our mulch pile after weeks of rain. Would love help iding it.

Carol

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Carol,

Looks very much like Phallus duplicatus. At least it must be a relative.. .

http://images.google.be/images?hl=nl&q=Phallus+duplicatus&btnG=Afbeeldingen+zoeken&gbv=2

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks...there is one photo on that page with the same 'skirt'....

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

But yours is more beautiful!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Probably newer!!! Thanks for the help....!!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

oooops... Just got the word from the Prof. of Micology from the U of H (GO WARRIORS).... it is Dictyophora cinnabarina

Now we know....

Fischer, TX(Zone 8b)

This fungus is in the order Phallales, so named because of their rather, uh, organic, appearance. They have a very unpleasant odor also which may not be detected when you first see them. In my experience their smell seems to drift around like patches of unpleasant fog.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Carol
nice image of a Veiled or netted Stinkhorn D. cinnabarina
here is another one with the orange skirt not from Hawaii

http://picasaweb.google.com/bartprast/Malaysia2007Public/photo#5045021906128174898

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Funny...never smelled a thing!!!!

Am I too used to my dogs' gas?

Fischer, TX(Zone 8b)

Put it into a paper bag and sit it on your kitchen counter, or table. It will come to you.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Fantastic photo! What an extraordinary fungus.

Zephyrhills, FL

It smells like bleach, or semen.

Fischer, TX(Zone 8b)

Yet another reason for the Order name: Phallales. One of the genera is called Phallus, and there is a species called Phallus impudicus var. imperiales, a rather, ah, imposing organism. There is another which used to be called Phallus caninus, again for obvious reasons, but the name has been changed to Mutinus caninus. This is a really fun group of fungi for those of us with low tastes.

Dahlonega, GA

yuk

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

aw, c'mon, where's your sense of adventure ;)

What fun! I've never seen one with a pretty skirt!

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

What an amazing ... thing! But, I'm still struggling: bleach or sperm? Do those really smell much alike???

Elgin, IL

Sometimes, but I think 'reminiscient' (sp?) is a better term. It must be a mushroom thing- friends and I have often noticed a similar aftertaste with breaded deep-fried 'shrooms from different eateries. ( And I don't mean bleach ) Occasionally, wild ones have a bit of the same character to their odor. Just some more info that people never wanted to know!

Dahlonega, GA

like i said , yuk . interesting reading , tho . sally

Such a pretty skirt! Is this variety Gay?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

lmao

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.