Greetings from new Detroit MI member

Detroit, MI(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone! My name is Holly and I live in downtown Detroit. Received a lovely welcome message this morning (thanks, notmartha) and have been poking around in DG all morning. What a great site! Glad to be aboard.

My primary passion is vermiculture. Lately I've been reading about bokashi and permaculture. I'm also an organic container gardener, mainly focused on vegetables. I've just applied to the MG program in Wayne County and should know in a week or two if I've been accepted...

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

WELCOME ABOARD!!! I work in Trenton-so not too far away. I love this site & have had more fun poking around & trading that I can almost handle-LOL

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Holly,

So you like to play with worms eh? :) I've done a fair share or composting years ago. I don't do the container composting any more. I pretty much compost in place. I also raise a large vegetable garden and do so organically. Be sure to check out the forums on soil and the vegetable forum as well.

Glad to have you here. Good luck with your MG program.

Brenda

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Holly, glad to have you here!!!

Cindy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Holly glad to have you here with all of us.
I use to live in clawson for a short time as a child-to crowed in the city for me
Im on a farm up here!

I have a compost tumbler(huge)someone here at daves gave me yrs ago
I toss everything in that and spin it!

I have many gardens here, veggies, 2 iris beds, 2 hosta beds and 3daylily beds
along with several amaller flower gardens and then my BIG one!

welcome to the site and if you have ??'s just ask
have fun
dori

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome ilex!! I'm a composter too and have a ton of worms in my compost edges...good for fishing!!

Organic is the way for me in the veggie garden, but I'll admit that I do use some chemicals on the flower beds....those japanese beetles get the best of me every year!

You'll love it in DG!!

Seven inches of snow headed our way...get out the shovels!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

welcome ilex hope your having a good time here you can learn alot and every one is so helpful!!
Gloria

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

notmartha, do you add anything to the tumbler to get it to compost? My tumbler isn't huge, but I never have gotten good compost from it.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have not added anything to mine-cept the garbage! :)

Dearborn, MI

Welcome. I'm glad to see a downtowner posting. My name is Nancy and I'm from Dearborn. I spend quite a bit of time downtown at Belle Isle with the Belle Isle Botanical Society. We maintain the lily pond garden there and support the conservatory. We frequently have volunteers from the master gardener class coming down to fulfill their volunteer hours. So if you get in, come join us for in the greenhouses. (You can join us even if you don't get in, we always need help) Because my Dearborn lot is teeny, I get to expand upon my gardening interests in the beautiful lily pond area at BI.
Don't really compost anymore because the city of Dearborn objected.
Also, Notmartha, I get to Bay City often, because we have a cottage in Caseville, and Bay City offers the only resources for home improvement. I really like your city and appreciate the how wonderfully everything seems to grow there. Nancy

Tucson, AZ

Hi Holly,
You will be happy to see that there is a forum on bokashi.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

welcome ilex, we are glad to have you aboard the forum. hope we haer lots of info from you and we can help you with any thing. i would love a composter but do not have the money for one... any one have one for sale cheap???? haha why would anyone give theres up? Ronna

Detroit, MI

I glad to have a fellow Detroiter here. I Dennis President of the Metro-Detroit Pond & Garden Club. We'll be contacting you for advice.

Enjoy

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello and wecome Ilex,
I love to compost and have used it for 25+ yrs.
And Ronna I do have a large Kemp composter I want to sell. I was looking to get $200.00
for it. I'll post a picture for you to see.
Any way great to have more Michigan people!!
And OH tha MG class you will absolutely love!! I still have friends I met there!!
Julie

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

thats the same one i have~

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow that sure is a large one. How in the world do you turn it?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

it has a handle that turns those gears!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW thATS WHAT i NEED !!!!!!!!
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.