Poppies in your landscapes

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I would love to see photos of poppies in your garden beds and landscaping. I'm especially curious of how people are using poppies in their front gardens as I'm thinking of incorporating them into my front beds this year. In the past, I've only grown them in cottage garden out back where I can get a bit more "crazy."

Do you have photos to share?

Thanks in advance!
w

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a shot of the ones I have in a front garden bed...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

One more...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Lovely, Janet. Are they "california poppies"? I'm still learning. Thank you so much for posting your photos. I love to see other people's designs.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, they are and they are the only ones I have been able to get to grow..lol But I love the buttery yellow color of the blooms and the silvery/blue foilage!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, as it happens, I am in "the market" for silver foliage and yellow flowers in my front beds! Thanks.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Then these should fill the bill...lol

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

here's another one.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

and another, but all by itself

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

and again

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

hope this isn't too boring

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

number V

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

number VI

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

number VII

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

number VIII, but the other 285 will have to wait for another day. ciao

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Poppies mix well with everything. There's a size and color of bloom or foliage for everyone's taste. The best approach is to scatter seed. Every kind you can get and every place you can toss it. Some will grow and some will not. The only way to find out is toss a bunch and see what works. Winter (now) sowing works well. Orientals are a bit different, being perennials. Good luck.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

NO, not boring at all! what is the blue in the picture with number four? All of your poppies are just beautiful, I am going to have to try one more time this year to get more varieties to grow for me...

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

The blue is lavender.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is beautiful. I have not had much luck with Lavendar, but Rosemary does well for me.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Do the Calif. poppies last all summer?

I assumed that since the annuals I planted (That probably won't even come up...they hate me) would die out as it got hot. So I was wondering what else should go in with them to keep the dying plants hiddedn and color in the bed. Any tips?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

They last a good while, but not all Summer here. I use the petunias in my beds to have something blooming when between color..lol I have such luck with them from seed.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I planted Lauren's Grape (Papaver somniferum) in front of my grapevine.

Thumbnail by picante
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Do you cut your lavender back very much? Mine really needs it but I am afraid I will hurt the plants. some have gotten really too large for the space they are in. They are in their 3rd year.

Tammie

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LL, Your lavender will greatly benefit from a rejuvenation pruning from time to time. You ought to at least selectively thin out the the old, tired looking stems.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you, I was able to harvest 3 times last year.. they just kept blooming all year! Even had some bloom in december! .. with snow! LOL

Tammie

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

balvenie, is number V the oriental poppy Royal Wedding?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

balvanie - if anyone thinks that is boring then they are on the wrong forum ( or dead !). What beauty. I cannot get my camera to focus on more than one individual bloom with being fuzzy. Your colors are so sharp !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.