We had a surprise Christmas visitor

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

About 10am yesterday morning while I was preparing for quite a bit of company for dinner, we had some unexpected company. I glanced outside and saw something I have never seen before by our house.

Pheasants are not at all plentiful anymore around here and this guy was quite a gift to see. We have never seen one on this property for the 12 years we have owned it. (only in fields along the road)

What a treat for us. So I thought I would share.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Marlton, NJ

Oh very nice; what a great Christmas Surprise!

Thanks so much for posting it cpart!

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

What a magnificent bird!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

What a handsome fellow.
Was he eating some bird seed?
Kudos to you and him for sitting still long enough for you to get your camera.
One of my big frustrations is glancing outside every once in a while to see a bird - other than a sparrow, and they fly away before I can take photo.

Thanks for sharing your bird.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, I was very excited to see one so close.
It was funny. DH was in the basement heading out to walk our dog. When I glanced out the window and saw this head with a ringed neck down below the hill, by the lake.

Well, it was a little warmer and some of the ice melted in spots and we had some ducks out front. So at first glance I thought mallard. Then, mmmm, that is a wierd duck. Then he came up the hill and I started yelling for DH not to go outside. He thought I had lost it when I said there was a rooster pheasant out front.
He ran up the stairs and was shocked to see him.

Funny all the noise we were making didn't scare him into the next county!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Pford,
He did not eat any of the sunflower seed we had on the ground. He was just poking around.

Yes, I was lucky to get a few shots of him, through the dirty window, at full zoom, then I cropped it a little more. It is hard when you see a great bird, to go and grab the camera. I don't want to miss a second, because they usually leave as quick as they come in.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing he is a handsome fellow!
Susan

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful bird...thanks for sharing, what a joy to have him in your yard!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

How handsome he is. Thanks for sharing!

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 6:38 PM

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I posted this on the Michigan forum and was told that only a twp over from us, that there are oodles of these guys. Nice to know the population is doing well. They are so beautiful.
Last seen he was walking across the ice to the other side of the lake. He must have been exploring over here.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

DD lives NE of town (Gladwin) and she has oodles of pheasants. The birds don't live in wooded areas, they use the fence rows and feed out in the fields. It is nothing for them to see a half dozen everyday in their front yard.
They are beautiful birds.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am so surprised to hear there are so many in our area. We are northeast of town too, but where there is lots of woods. It is very unusual to find them here.
We are on Wiggins lake near the Gladwin County Rec area.
Small world Granny! Told DH, I had to go on DG to find out about bird activity right here in Gladwin. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.