who are the home cheesemakers?

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

There have been a few threads related to cheesemaking scattered around the Recipe and genreal forums. I thought I'd start a new one and ask how many DGers are making cheese at home?

How often do you make cheese?
Do you make soft cheeses, hard cheeses or both? What are your favourite types?
Do you sell your cheeses or make for your own consumption only?

Do you have your own milk supply, eg, your own dairy animals or a local farm that can supply or do you use store bought milk?

What have been the rewards, aggravations, giggles and mishaps?

Did Santa bring anyone a cheesmaking kit and if so, how did you like it?
http://www.cheesemaking.com/default-cPath-22.php

At the moment, I make yoghurt cheese and panir at home. We also make a type of "cottage" cheese if we don't useup all the fresh milk and it sours. The soured milk is boiled until the curds firm up, then we strain them out, press the water out, and scramble the curds to make a bhorji (scrambled curd dish with ghee, onion, tumeric, chopped green chili, tomato, roasted cumin and cilantro)

At various times in my life, I assisted grandparents and aunts in other cheese making efforts but haven't done anything more adventurous than quark recently.

I'll bet DG has a lot of "cheesy" talent! :) It would be interesting to hear about your experiences.

This thread has 53 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!