Interesting winter phenomenon on the Salvia...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a large pot of Salvia ~ coccinea. I expect it to come back from roots but have also saved seed.

This past week we received a large amount of rain and over night, the temp dropped to 27 degrees. This morning, I found the stems had burst. It was a pretty display.

Salvia ~ coccinea Lady in Red ... er... Frost

Thumbnail by podster

This is a closer view of a burst stem...

Very pretty ~ has anyone else run into this?

Thumbnail by podster
Candor, NC

Those are classical examples of frozen and burst vascular systems. The antifreeze content of Salvia sap is minimal. The faster growing the sage, the more spectacular the effect of freezing. It happens with most of the really tender new world sages.

Thank you for that information, I find it most interesting!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I certainly hope to never see that happening with any of mine.....!

I would imagine that is because you hope it doesn't get that cold where you are? LOL

I think unless the roots also suffer the same damage, the plant will come back from roots all right... Either way, we shall see.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I love the cold....However, not all of my plants do. Today they're basking in about 74 degree weather....

And boy, am I jealous... I would be basking with them!

Longview, TX

Podster
I have quite a few of the lady in red salvia. That along with the pineapple sage is what I use to keep the butterflies in nector after everything else has died. As long as I haul them into the carport they live and bloom longer. I did notice that white stuff on one of the ones that had already died. Thanks to you I now know what that is.
jameso

Jameso ~ tell me, do you shelter them to keep the roots from freezing. Or do you simply try to extend the blooming season for the butterflies. I did notice they loved this one in the Fall.

I was hoping this would come back from roots but left the pot outside. I also harvest much seed just to hedge my bets.

Longview, TX

Podster
90% of my lady in reds, which amounts to probably 20 plants are in pots and I don't mulch them or anything except put them in the back of my yard and I've never lost a single one in about 5 years....so they are out in the cold. To extend the season for butterflies I do put about 5 or 6 in my carport overnight when the temps are to be below 30 degrees. Eventually I'll let those 5 or 6 freeze in late January. I cut way back on the different varieties of salvias and of the ones I have, only the sierra madresis(don't think I've spelled it right), the yellow one, has died and not come back and then only 1 out of 4. The costa rica and purple palace have always come back without shelter. As a matter of fact my purple palace's haven't been sheltered at all, except from the wind, and their leaves are still green and still blooming. I'm in Longview and we've had several days at 26 to 30 degrees. All are in pots.
jameso

Wow ~ still green and still blooming! That might be one to look for here... I don't know your zone but our temps sound similar.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Pod,
Both of my salvias are still green and blooming here too. I've forgotten the blue one's name, but the red one, pineaple sage. While Banana, and EE are frost biten here, brugs too. My salvias are still in their prime. Go figure. I need to plant more of them next spring that's in the agenda.
Kim

I think the salvia is a hardier plant. I am beginning to develop another passion here ~ Heaven forbid! LOL

I have already picked up a couple different ones and some seed.

I wonder if it would be adviseable to cut this damaged plant back? Are the stalks hollow? Would it make the roots rot if I did?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Me think; you think right. And as far as developing new passions? I've gathered at least one every day. So join the club. :o)
Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I do believe they're root-hardy. Cut off the damage part, and mulch them up. I would.
Kim

Longview, TX

podster
As far as I know, the only hollow stem on the salvia and or/sage is the pineapple sage and I've been told not to cut that back until spring.
jameso

Good to know, thanks. I have run into that on other plants and it was logical. Our wet winters can cause root rot from inside out.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hollow stems or not it's also best to leave the frost-damaged parts on the plants until spring. The damaged parts can provide some protection to the rest of the plant and help it get through the rest of the winter with less damage.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks all, I'm learning new info. to care for my Salvias.
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.