Columnea, columnea sp

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I put a picture and a message under tropicals topic and then I realized I was in the wrong place. I think I should have put it in here. I want more information on Columnea and was hoping someone else had some experience with them. I am trying to identity the stock plant I have and it is only listed as stated in the topic. I find there are many other species and dozens of different flowers, etc. I do not want to misrepresent my new plants I will have to sell and therefore I need to know what the heck I have. Any suggestions. Here is the flower.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Milton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, There are over 150 different speices of Columnea. This site might help. Your leaves look pretty shiney. A lot of them have fuzzy leaves. Sorry I couldn't help more. Patty http://www.gesneriads.ca/gencolum.htm

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Patty, I have already checked that site and there were so many I could not actually figure out which one mine is. I printed them out and am hoping I can find one that matches, but there are so many. I do appreciate your help...I do love that site.

Winchester, VA

From your picture, this plant looks like the Columnea 'Early Bird'. I have been looking for this plant myself, which is how I came by the name. I heard about the "Dolphin Plant" and asked around, but folks thought I was nuts. My sister-in-law gave me a cutting from a "Goldfish Plant" and said that this is probably what I was talking about, but it most assuredly is not.

You may find more on this plant (along with a picture) at http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=T5010-2. I've included a picture from that site. Looks like yours, doesn't it?

Thumbnail by mentalward414
Winchester, VA

This could also be a Columnea 'Julia'. It's pretty much the same as the 'Early Bird' but is much redder. This is also found at Logees.

Thumbnail by mentalward414
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Talk about better late than never.....I have had so much going on I did not get back to this site until yesterday and then I had a question and ask it and ran on to something else.
The columnea I propagated did not do well at all. It is still growing so slow, but does not look happy. I am hoping if I ignore it and treat it with some fertiziler, they may come along . I think it stays quiet for months and then it just grows like topsy. I am not sure if it had too much heat or water or what. I need to try again soon with new cuttings but just now is outside garden time and it is crazy here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.