Show us your feeders Vol. 5

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Welcome Keywee...what a darling pics, thanks for sharing!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Keywee; nice of you to post that picture. Very sweet. They have a very Neat bunkhouse. I'd like to pet them too . Thanks for sharing that.

Hardin, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks all for the warm welcome and I hope to be participating more often. I am certainly no photographer, but I do love my wild birds. I currently am "down" to nine feeders ~ slowly replacing those that the squirrels chew on with steel and glass only. Live and learn.
Someone mentioned that you are getting a lot of new people recently ~ could be that it's winter and we're biding our time until we can get out and get our hands dirty again.
Anyhoo ~ now that I know how easy it is to post a picture, I will try to do more. Just looking at my garden pictures makes me anxious for spring ~ the shortest day of the year is now behind us!!

Thumbnail by KeyWee
Hebron, KY

Welcome Betty (tortoisekeeper)!

Welcome KeyWee! Love that adorable pic! So sweet!

Happy to have you both here!

You'll love this forum! ;-)

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Merry Christmas everyone!

Marilyn

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the welcome Marilyn. Merry Christmas to all.

Betty

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Welcome Betty and Keywee!!

Keywee, that's about the cutest pic I've ever seen and the pup is a cutie too :-)

Burn, your DH sure did a good job for you on those feeders.

Beclu, cute pic of your Ruby Crowned Kinglet, I checked the maps and it doesn't look like we get them here, darn !

Rose, great idea with the pie plate in the hanging planter! I'm starting to have major Starling problems too :-(

Marilyn, check out this Downy in my new (thanks to you) suet feeder, LOL! I've seen a Titmouse in there too but haven't gotten a pic yet.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I finally saw the GF using the new screen thistle feeder too :-)

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

And here's the Mockingbird getting his winter dose of vitamin C. He was also eating something out of the mixed seed, I've never seen it eating seed but from one of my pics, it looks like either safflower or SF heart

Edited to say: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!!

This message was edited Dec 24, 2007 9:27 PM

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Merry Christmas to all....

Hebron, KY

Sadie,

That's great! I haven't seen any Downys or Titmice in mine yet. What brand and what 'flavor' are those suet cakes in yours? Maybe you're using the 'right' flavor for those birds! ;-)

That's wonderful the GF are using your mesh feeder!

What kind of feeder is the Mockingbird feeding out of? What's that metal thing sticking up in the middle?

Very nice pics!

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

This feeder (pictured below) is one of the ones I got from Gardeners Supply. I had it filled to the top with BOSS, but the other day it needed to be 'topped off', so instead of BOSS, I added my mix of sunflower chips/thistle. Yesterday, I saw a Downy inside the feeder eating the mix at the top! Didn't get a photo, tho. Would have loved to see the Downy enter the feeder and exit the feeder!

This pic was taken 12/3 and filled with BOSS at the time.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I make my own peanut butter flavored suet. The downys, titmice and dees love it as well as nuthatches, wrens and RBW. The recipe is in the suet thread, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797610/ from Pelle. Except I use shortening instead of lard (ignoring the no substitutes!) and I put in some BOSS. I keep it in the freezer until needed.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a RBW enjoying that suet.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

and a RBN

Thumbnail by beclu727
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics Becky!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Great shots Becky and I love the foilage in the first pic..it looks so inviting for the birds. The second shot in so clever with the added branches. I've been adding branches to my chain link fence and it looks weird and trashy but the birdies just love them so I do too!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Marilyn, that suet cage has 1 block of C & S Peanut flavored, can't remember if it's their "Delight" or "Treat" line. The other is a Heath woodpecker block, just suet and various seeds. The peanut flavored seems to be the favorite, about 2/3 of it is gone compared to maybe 1/4 of the other.

The Mockingbird is eating from a Stokes metal hanging platform feeder, it came with a 2' stake so that it can either be hung, or the hangers can be removed and the "thing sticking up in the middle" is what the stake fits into to make a ground feeder. They also had a grate insert but I didn't really see a reason for them so I don't use them. I'm certain that I got them at TS, it's been a couple months ago. I bought 2 at the time and don't remember seeing any more recently. Here's a link that shows exactly what it looked like in the box, but the description doesn't match, it's describing one made out of cedar. Maybe the ones I have are discontinued... http://doitbest.com/Bird+Feeders-Hiatt+Manufacturing-model-38072-doitbest-sku-712255.dib

Edited to add the link, duh.. :-)

This message was edited Dec 25, 2007 5:17 PM

Hebron, KY

Nice pics Beclu and Sadie!

Thanks for the info on the suet recipe Beclu!

Thanks for posting the recipe Pelle!

Thanks for the info on the suet cakes and the feeder Sadie! I've used (and have in fridge) C&S Peanut Treat suet cakes and have been using (and have in fridge) the C&S Woodpecker Treat. The birds love the peanut varieties with the peanut (butter?) flavoring and they love the Woodpecker Treat that has nuts besides peanuts.

Sadie, you forgot to add the link. ;-)
This message was edited Dec 25, 2007 5:17 PM

This message was edited Dec 25, 2007 5:21 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL, yeah I just realized that!! I went back and added it.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Nice photos Beclu, I really like the branch you've added in that 2nd pic. That's got me to thinking that maybe I can attach some to my feeder poles...hmmmm

Marilyn, I really like your new feeder. If the Starlings don't move along soon, I'm going to have to get some more caged feeders. I'll have to keep a couple open ones for the bigger birds though.

Hebron, KY

Sadie,

I got that feeder from Gardeners Supply.

http://www.gardeners.com/Squirrel-Proof-Bird-Feeder/default/StandardCatalog.20762.36-283.cpd

There is a Stokes feeder that has a cage that I have too, but it is different than the one I have pictured above. It can be found at Tractor Supply and PetSmart (probably other places, but these are the only places I've seen it).

http://www.stokesselect.com/products/template/product_detail.php?PHPSESSID=5196f41b9627b17ca161339aaadac9ba&item_id_D=7

You can always look around (or buy mail order).

Marilyn

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Sadie Thanks hubby was happy to hear that all of you liked it. He's getting more interested in bird watching now. He's starting to get the bug. :) It's contagious.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is on of the feeders I set up to try and get more places for the birds since the starlings have taken over. I added a branch to a fence post and have safflower seeds in the hanging feeder and boss in the plate on the fence post.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Well that was the wrong pic...I hope this is the right one!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This is the "arch" between the last two pics! It is from our chimney cleaner which we no longer use but the GF's sure love it!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is another hanging basket I set up in the front yard under the willow tree. The birds seem to like it and can run for cover into the tree.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

RBW discovers the new feeder!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I also have this little house feeder on the willow tree and they love it as well!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics and feeders Rose!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

White Throated Sparrow finds the new feeder also!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pelle! This is a favorite of the GF and is the first feeder I hung this summer...it was a Bday gift from a friend of mine!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Look Ma...no hands!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Rose nice pics, You have some really great ideas, I love your arch.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I like both of my feeders, the one that's shaped like a barn holds about 3 full coffee cans of seed. It lasts about two days with all of the birds I have. The suet feeder lasts about two weeks as I put 4 suet cakes in it. They're hung over the driveway about 15 ft in the air and about 20 feet apart. Works great when you have 3 cats.

Thumbnail by gardener105
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you Pelle and Burn. I really enjoy watching those birds land on the arch. The larger birds don't like it so the little ones spend a lot of time there.

Gardener105...I love cute and your barn feeder sure is!! It's nice that you can get it so high to protect the birdies!

Here is a poor pic of a cute little Downy eating on the treat block.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This pic cracked me up when I noticed the little GF peeking out from the feeder!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Those are cute pics dellrose. I have a few quail under the barn feeder eating the seed that the sparrows drop. It might be a little blurry, can't get close enough to them.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I also have a plant stand that I use in the winter for a wildbird block, it's covered with quail.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.