Show us your feeders Vol. 5

Marlton, NJ

Becky, Congratulations on the RC Kinglet!!!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Boy, I need a mesh feeder for thistle to draw in the Buntings next summer!

Hebron, KY

Nanny,

I want to get this one for the Buntings for next Spring/Summer!

http://www.duncraft.com/BirdsChoice-Nyjer-Forever-Feeder-P2031C216.aspx

Marilyn

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the Petsmart link Marilyn. Of course, I just had to spend $50 to get the free shipping ;-) Here's what I ended up getting:

Woodpecker Bar Ready to Use
Brown's Song Blend Cracked Corn Wild Bird Food
Woodpecker Bar with Basket
Morning Song® JazzBerry Blend™ Wild Bird Food
Morning Song® Finch & Chips™ Wild Bird Food
Graceful Flight® Seed Dispensers - easier than mixing my seed in ziplock bags
Iris Food Containers

They carry those Woodpecker bars around here but I've never been able to find the baskets for them, problem solved :-) I also got another storage container since the one I've got now is almost overflowing and I don't want to feed the mice this winter because I keep all of my feed in the house.

That Duncraft feeder you just linked to is nice but I'M NOT LOOKING ANYMORE, LOL!

Hebron, KY

Sadie,

LOL! Glad to help you spend money! ;-)

I haven't seen the basket for those bird bars before. Glad you got one!

LOL! I'm sure you'll still be looking! ;-)

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 20, 2007 8:33 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh, Nanny and Marilyn , my Indigo Buntings seemed to prefer the sunflower hearts this year. They ate from the platform feeders with the other birds! I wasted $$ on a "finch mix" with thistle included and they wouldn't touch it...as a matter of fact, the only thing I ever saw eating it was the BH Cowbirds!

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Hebron, KY

Sadie,

Great shot and pic! Love the Indigo Bunting and GF's!

I'll keep that in mind about the SS hearts! Thanks! Would love for the Buntings to finally start coming to my feeders after all these years of feeding!

This message was edited Dec 20, 2007 8:52 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Marilyn! I had never seen them at the feeders before either, I guess this is my 3rd year to feed. I don't know what drew them in this year, maybe they just came to see what the fuss was about. Or maybe it was because I kept the weeds and grass weedeated from around the house and fences and they were hungry ;-)

Marlton, NJ

sadie,Thats because most finch mixes are mainly made of canary seeds.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep, this stuff is 40% thistle and the rest is red & white millet, canola seed ,canary seed and it claims to have sunflower chips but I don't see any. I don't know why I'm saving this stuff, it needs to go in the trash. It's "Scott's Gourmet Finch Blend" just in case anyone else wants to avoid it :-)

Marlton, NJ

Throw it around on the ground; someone will eat it.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Do you think any of that stuff will sprout? If so, I'll scatter it in the driveway.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Oh Sadie beautiful color on Indigo Bunting , he goes so well with the Gold Finches. I've never seen the Indigo Bunting either.

Oh dear, I need to checkout Petsmart. I always wondered about the bars too. Never saw anything to put them in......

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Here's the roof of my platform feeder, DH build today. I'll have a nice view from my patio.door.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

He did a great job and that is a nice view!

Gee, would he come to my house & do one?? Very nice!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I love looking at all the pics of your feeders and learning where to buy what!! (Not sure if that is a good thing...LOL)!

I have rigged up a few more feeding areas since the starlings seem to be chasing all the other birds away...they are even eating all the cat food...grrrrrr!

Burn..(almost typed BRRRR..LOL)..thanks for posting the pic of the covered feeder, your DH is very handy!! I really want to make some platform feeders to attach to our dead tree!!

It is windy and cold today and all the feeders are swinging in the breeze..hope you all are safe and warm.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks everyone I will be sure to tell Dh about what you said. That will encourage him. He hurt his finger with an air gun, while working on it, there's a few droplets of blood as evidence on my patio. Used a child band aid to fix it. He laughed.
Nanny, I doute he would, I've been waiting for some time, nagging to have it done. ((big grin))
What I like about the platform, I'll be able to take it down, come spring and put it back up next winter. And the fact that it's in front of my patio door, will make it easy, to take closeup pictures..
Rose LOL, I understand completely. BRRR really describe it. How is your new setup working concerning the Starlings? I still have problem with mine. I'm not putting up as much suet out, just a few, and giving cat food instead. Please post pictures when you get your's done.
It's started raining, so might not be very pretty tonight and in the morning.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi all this is my first time here. My question is would it be ok to use chicken mixed in with the seed. When I had chickens Cardnals were always getting in the pen. I assume that they were after the chicken feed. What do yall think?

Betty

Marlton, NJ

Hi Betty, What does chicken feed consist of?

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

It is some kind of mash with cracked corn.

Betty

Marlton, NJ

LOL, I'm sorry I don't know what mash is; the cracked corn would be fine.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Shelled Corn
Roasted Soybeans
Oats
Alfalfa Meal
Aragonite(calcium)
Poultry Nutri-Balancer
The above is what is listed on the bag. This is used for laying hens and new chicks.

Marlton, NJ

Doesn't sound like anything bad to me.

If someone else has a differing opinion please speak up. :-)

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Betty...Our feed store sells lots of "chicken scratch" for bird feed. He says a lot of people use it...that is all I know. ;0)

This little WB Nuthatch discovered the new feed tray outside the bathroom window. Unfortunately...the Starlings discovered it shortly after!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I hung a hanging basket on the front porch and put a pie plate in it. The Starlings haven't found it yet thank goodness! This was taken from inside and isn't too good but the Purple Finch (?) looked so funny I wanted you to see it!

Thumbnail by dellrose

LOL That is too funny! What is he doing??? I think it is a House Finch though.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I still have a problem telling them apart, thanks for the ID Nanny! I think he was just so excited to find this new feeder he was just acting silly..at least that's what I like to think!! LOL! I catch myself trying to think like a bird (I used to do the same thing with the cows)! :0)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Burn - I love your platform feeders. Does your DH have a plan for them? My DH is a woodworker, and I really need something to add to his honey-do list (HEHEHEHE)!

Dellrose - that house finch looks like he's got a crick in his neck or something....

Here's a titmouse on my suet feeder today.

Becky

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I finally got a picture of the ruby crowned kinglet. But I didn't get one that shows the red on his head. He was showing it, but I didn't snap quick enough.

Thumbnail by beclu727
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Becky..I love that Titmouse! I can't get mine to visit long enough to take a pic.

The House Finch just did that as I snapped the camera and went on to eat like a normal little finch!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here's the next shot of the silly House Finch shown earlier!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This RBW is glad he has a double sided suet feeder!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Your little finch might be seeing a hair in his food Rose ;~)

Beclu, thanks, He just planed as he went along. It's wouldn't pass the test for a professional job. But it serves the purpose and the birds don't mind. I too, had one of those honey- do- list posted in the garage , next to his office. It mysteriously disappeared LOL.

Marlton, NJ

Very cute pic of the RC Kinglet peeking from underneath Becky!

Rose,The Starling is the one that should be happy for the double sided suet feeder as the RB Woodpeckers can be really aggressive towards them; nice pic! The one of the WB Nuthatch is cute!

Hardin, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey all ~ I am new here and I noticed there are several others from Kentucky. I don't know if this qualifies as a "feeder" picture, but it IS a feeder ~ even though it's being used as a guestroom! Here are my Carolina wrens sound asleep in my squirrel-tail-feeder on the front porch right smack-dab next to the front door. Our comings and goings don't seem to bother them (we have two old dogs that have to go out six hundred times a day) and when they are really, really asleep, you can pet their soft and downy little feathers. This is the third year that they have used the feeder as a bunkhouse.

Thumbnail by KeyWee
Marlton, NJ

Oh KeyWee that is precious!!!

Thanks so much for posting it!

Hi and welcome! We sure are getting alot of new people here. Yea! That is really cute and amazing!

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the replys. I am going to try a small bag and see how it works.

Keywee that is the cutest picture. I don't think the house wrens are afraid of anything. They built a nest on my front pourch right next to where the cat eats. I was afraid he would get them so I put a cage over it and worried until they fledged.

Betty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.