Daily Pics Vol. 42

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This is the continuation from thread #41, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797672/

Welcome to Vol. 42 of our Daily Pics. We addicts of birding need to get this tread going. It's a good place to ID your birds. So keep posting these darling pictures. We look forward to them. Pelletory and Resin get ready and all you bird connoisseurs please, do pitch in.
I'll start this one, with a Male and Female Pine Grosbeak, dinning on BOSS.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2007 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Hebron, KY

Burn,

Beautiful birds and beautiful pic! They look so sweet and adorable! We don't get the Pine Grosbeaks this far south and it's a joy to see photos of them, so keep 'em coming! ;-)

Thanks for starting the new thread for all us bird addicts! ;-)

Here's we came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797672/

Marilyn

Marlton, NJ

Burn, Thanks for starting the new thread!

I love those PG's, they have such a quilted look to there breast feathers!

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Burn, what at great photo of the pine grosbeaks. I've never seen one here.

Klamath River, CA

The birds were hesitant this morning. They showed up in ones and twos.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics adel!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Hello, I'm a newbie here. One of my cats chased a young quail hen into the barn just before dusk lastnight and she flew up into the vent as high as she could go. My cat tried to figure out a way to get up there but to no avail. When I went out to feed my chickens this morning I saw her scurry out of the barn, (all 3 cats were in the house sleeping) she headed right straight for the feeder. I'm sure she'll get back with her covy. I put a wildbird block out and hang a large feeder from an American elm tree right over the driveway. Whatever seed falls out or rather is knocked out of the feeder falls in the dirt so the other birds not only get the seed but they get grit as well and we don't have strange plants growing in flowerbeds. I also hang a suet cage. I have Sparrows galore, Oregon Juncos, Scrub Jays, Flickers, Quail, Mallard ducks that eat on the bird block, Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Shrikes, Kestrels, Cooper's Hawk and a Sharp-shinned Hawk.
It makes for a very interesting viewing. I love watching all the different species of birds. Love all the pics.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi, gardener105! So glad to have you here! :-)

Another shot of my Red -shouldered Hawk from sunday.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Welcome gardener!!!

You have quite a nice variety of birds!

Hope you visit us often and continue to post!

Have a great day!

Pelle :-)

Marlton, NJ

Very nice nanny!!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the welcome! Nice pic nanny!!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Not much new here… I just wanted to post this so you all could see that my camera (or operator) indeed CAN focus! ;)

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wow, I just started this thread, and already 14 post, and 78 views. Neat. Thanks for joining in. Adel who is the little blue bird in #3 never seen them before. Nice pictures by the way.
For some reason, we are getting a lot of Pine Grosbeak this year. I never had that much the other year. Once or twice, I've seen the Rose breasted, this year.
Last year, I've seen the Rose Breasted quite often , and the Evening GB I've seen a few time. I'm still waiting for them to show up.

Welcome Gardener, if you have a chance, show us some pictures of your birds.

Nanny: nice Hawk

I have a hard time to get a picture of these little guys this year. They don't stand still long enough.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Mrs_Ed we posted at the same time, didn't see your picture. Beautiful bird shot.

Klamath River, CA

burn_2007 #3 is a Western -scrub Jay

Klamath River, CA

resin.............."Too much rain and not enough sun makes a grumpy bird." old Wet Blue Jay syaying

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Mrs Ed, Excellent shot!!

adel, beautiful Scrub Jay!

Hebron, KY

Adel,
Nice pics! Love that Quail! The Scrub Jay (beautiful blue) in #3 has a looks that he's wondering where the peanuts are! LOL! Looks like the Jays in #4 are making a deal together! LOL!

Gardener105,
Welcome to the Bird Watching Forum! Glad to have you! Looking forward to seeing your photos! You have a nice selection of birds!

Nanny,
Nice pic of the Hawk! Looks all puffed up and cute among the icy branches! ;-)

Mrs. Ed,
Nice pic of the red Cardinal against the bright blue sky! We all knew you could focus! LOL ;-)

Burn,
Nice pic of the Dee! Love your suet! What kind is it? What's in it? Love the adorable Dees!

Marilyn

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Mrs. Ed, I know I get real happy when I get areally clear shot too! :-) That is spectacular!

Adel, those quail are too cute!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That little Scrub jay is adorable Adel. Love his color.Does he have a loud cry. Our blue Jay are loud. We can hear them from inside the house with everything closed. I don't see them often lately. I'll know when they come around. My Camera is always ready.

Marilyn; The suet is homemade. I posted the recipe at this link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797610/

Hebron, KY

Burn,
Thanks for the recipe! Where do you get lard? I didn't know they still made ( had ) it! Isn't it hard to work with?

Nanny,
Love your Downy pics!

Lilypon,
Nice pics! DH and I would love to have birds eat of out our hands. How do you do it?

Took this pic of the Downy on the 17 enjoying the peanut feeder.

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 18, 2007 7:56 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Put up more suet yesterday. Birds were looking to build up their fat supplies to keep warm.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Hebron, KY

Burn,
Nice pic! We've been getting lots of birds ( Starlings too ) here with the unseasonably cold weather we've been having.

Two Dees enjoying some of my custom mixed seed. 12/17/07

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

A Dee flying. A neat shot!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

A Dee coming in for a landing! Another neat shot!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Female Downy enjoying Woodpecker Treat suet cake.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

When I buy Pork roast,or steak, I trim the fat off and store that. but we can also buy some here.
In our neck of the woods, they have this tradition, Saturday's supper is Baked beans. :~) . But I use shortening also.

Hebron, KY

Junco

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yes, very neat Dees, I can't wait to see my WPs again.

Hebron, KY

Burn,

Can I use shortening ( Crisco ) instead of lard?

Dee among lots of goodies, deciding what to pick next.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Awwww sweet Junco.

A few Redpolls

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

LOL we post at the same time. I use Crisco or fluffo.

Hebron, KY

Thanks Burn! Where are your WP's?

Tufted Titmouse

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Burn,

LOL! Nice pic of those beautiful, sweet and adorable Redpolls! I love them! We don't get to see them this far south. Thanks for posting them! I don't usually get to get photos of Juncos, they seem to be shyer. Thrilled to get some shots!

Goldfinch enjoying my custom mix of '50 - 50' sunflower chips & thistle.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

So many beautiful birds!
Here is a chickadee on a forsythia. I'm amazed to see the tiny green ends on the buds. It has been so cold and it is such along time till spring!

Thumbnail by bebop2
Hebron, KY

Tufted Titmouse enjoying peanut treats!

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.