More Birds - 40 Feet from my back patio

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh sure we see them flying/soaring way up in the sky. What a nice surprise. I just wonder what unfortunate creature paid the ultimate sacrifice to get this visitor this close. Not sure what Hawk variety this is but I think its a Coopers. This picture does not do this birds massive size any justice.

Thumbnail by dwr857
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow...awesome and beautiful!

Hebron, KY

Hi DWR,

Welcome to the Bird Watching Forum! (if I hadn't mentioned it before).

Great pic of that beautiful Hawk! 40 feet from your patio! Wow! That's a big bird!

Marilyn

Marlton, NJ

I'll take a stab at it.

Swainsons Hawk

Lets see what Resin says. :-)

BTW, Beautiful pic !!

This message was edited Dec 18, 2007 2:58 PM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Definitely a Buteo; I'd say probably immature Red-tailed Hawk, southwestern race.

Resin

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Resin, I agree. A young red-tail. (Too large to be a Coopers).
jo

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

He's handsome, love his brown face and ruffled feathers.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

After doing some internet research I have to agree about being a Red tailed. When he left the fence his wing span had to be 5-6 feet across. What a thrill to see him that close....

Thanks all!

Here is another photo!

Thumbnail by dwr857
Wasilla, AK

Mighty pretty. Well Shot
D

Hebron, KY

DWR,

Wow! 5 to 6 feet wide! Amazing! That last pic is fantastic! Beautiful Hawk! He/she looks pretty comfortable standing on your railing! ;-)

We live a few miles from the international airport here (DH is an Airline Capt. for an Airline) and as we drive past one of the runways, we like to look for the Red Tailed Hawks that sit on the barbed wire that surrounds the airport. DH says he seen the Red Tails sitting on taxiway signs when he in the jet!

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.