How to get rid of aphids?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I keep spraying and spraying with this Indoor Pharm insecticidal soap plus junk that my mom bought and it doesn't make much of a difference.

Is there anything that you find around the house that can be used to get rid of aphids? It has to be safe b/c this is indoors.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No matter what you use you have to keep after them, they reproduce very fast so if you don't stay on top of them they'll be right back. They just adore my hibiscus, and I found that I could never 100% get rid of them, but if I kept on top of them I could keep them from getting too bad. I don't know that brand of insecticidal soap, but assuming there's not something wrong with it I can't think of anything that's really going to work better. You can use diluted dish soap, but it works the same way the insecticidal soap does. If the plants are small enough that you can get them in the sink you might try washing them off, then once they dry spray them with the soap, that should help knock the population down a bit. Then make sure you repeat the treatment to keep the population from exploding again (if you leave even 1 aphid behind, it can turn into millions very quickly, that's why it's important to stay on top of things)

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

you might try neem oil. it is from the neem tree, not toxic unless you eat it.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-neem-oil.htm

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd have to go to Home Depot to get it, I think. It's half an hour away. Nothing else usually found in the house will work besides soap?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Soap kills aphids no problem, they're soft bodied insects and are very easy to kill. But because of their fantastic reproduction skills, even though they're easy to kill they can be hard to get rid of, that's why no matter what you use you have to keep after them.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I kept at them for so long now and just can't get rid of them so I'm going to take my aphid prone plants into the garage and spray them with systemic insecticide. It's cold here, I'm hoping they can sit in the garage until they dry.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i just blast them off with water from the hose, but alcohol and water spray will work wonderfully.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

What kind of plant are we dealing with here?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.