Our geraniums still flowering Dec. 17th

Algonac, MI

Is it unusual for this type flower to continue to bloom this time of the year? They did so last winter too.
In fact....they bloomed until spring and then rebounded by early summer. Or is it that my wife has a wonderful green thumb? :)
I have one more pic to send.

Thumbnail by LostIndian
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's not unusual for the geraniums to continue blooming as long as they get the right amount of light and water etc. necessary to keep them going. They are actually a houseplant in many homes. We are just used to growing them as annuals outside. I have one I let continue to bloom and the rest I cut them all way back for the winter. If I had the room in front of a sunny window I'd let them all bloom all winter. I love the smell of geraniums. They are easy to take cuttings of and start new plants from. Saves a lot of money in the spring if you like to plant a lot of them.

Brenda

Algonac, MI

THANKS, Loon! I'll pass your info to my wife and see what she does because she simply adores these flowers.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I did not know you could even keep these all winter, until I read it somewhere on DG.
Poor DH had to muscle the big pot I have them in, into the basement by the slider where they look wonderful and healthy.
I cannot believe I let them freeze every year before.
I am not really sure what to do with them, just water a little? They seem ok, so far.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I have gerainiums in bloom and Lantanna! I dug them up before frost and they started blooming again. That, combined with the injured Grosbeak bird I am wintereing over, gives me a little corner of summer. The sun is shining in the door today and he's singing his little heart out. Nice with all this snow.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh my, I am jelous about the grosebeak. What a lovely song they have. I love listening to them.
I just went down and looked at my ger. and they have more buds coming. I must be doing something right.
Should I cut them back in the spring, or let them go. They look nice right now, not spindely.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

You don't have to cut them back. If you are enjoying them blooming and they're nice and full just let them be. I don't have a good place to keep mine so I cut them back and water them sparingly just to keep them alive till spring. I have them on stairs going down to the basement under a big 5 x 5 foot glass block window. It's cool in that hallway and they get just enough light to keep them alive and growing. Come spring I'll increase watering and start fertilizing until I can take them outside for the summer.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info. I don't like to waste, throwing them out every year now makes me kick myself for not knowing earlier.
They should be really nice this summer, as they were kind of small and only got nice at the end of the year. Now they will have a big head start!

I cut mine back in the spring and use the cuttings to start more. The grosbeak now has a mourning dove with him. A bird feeder fell on it and broke it's wing. Ya gotta love a bird that dumb.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh my!
Reminds me of a story. DH and I were canoeing down the river. We saw a large ash tree cut down to a nice egg timer shape. It was in our woods and I jumped out of the canoe to take a picture of this fresh chewing. Really looked neat.
DH is yelling at me, there was about 30 mph winds and I am taking pictures of this big tree that was only attached by a few inches. It looked as if the beaver had just left.
I told him I didn't see the beaver around, and that he would surely come back to finish the job. DH said, "did you ever see a beaver under a felled tree?"
I got my picture, but I was as dumb as the dove. On our way back down the river, the tree was no longer standing. DH didn't have to say a thing.

I have actually had rehab calls where the beaver had the tree fall on him. Not much to rehab if it's a big tree.

Now, added to the bird songs, we have a toad that thinks it's time to breed. I ended up with three toads spending the winter inside in a nice terrarium. One was constantly coming into my laundry room through the doggy door and I thought he might try to hybernate unsuccessfully there. Two was inturupted during his hybernation when a tree fell over and he was unearthed and Three was this huge one that we found trapped in my son's fish pond, just as it started to snow. So, of course, I moved them ALL in the house and gfeed them $5.00 worth of crickets a week (most expensive animals I've ever rehabbed, pound for pound). Now, the little # 2 toad thinks that since he woke up, well, it must be time to breed!

The poor objects of his attentions is the really big toad and he rides around on her back, till I feel sorry for her and pry him off. It's pretty funny, she is at least 4 times bigger than he. When I make him go to a nutral corner he calls and chatters to her from across the tank. Then the laundry room toad, who obviously must also be a male, scolds him for being out of season.

The big toad, well, she just sits there and scarfs down extra large crickets. Ever seen a toad with a double chin?

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

I *am* a toad with a double chin! LOL! I once raised a frog from a tadpole and he lived in a container right next to my parakeet. The parakeet learned to imitate the frog and we had duets every day!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

If it wasn't so darn cold I would get a pic of mine in the green house, they are still purdy, too!
Happy Holidays!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.