Oooh the Weather Outside is Frightful

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Hope all you Yankees are surviving the Winter that blasted across the country this weekend. Yes, that's right, Yankees. :) As I'm taught locally, that means anybody north of Interstate-10 (which, by the way, runs right through Houston & San Antonio). *giggle*

No, seriously... Hope all are doing well, horses either have warm blankets or good winter coats of fur. My guys were shivering the past two mornings, as South Texas horses just don't understand what frozen grass is all about. Temps yesterday were around 30, and 29 at the house this morning. Ain't cold for most of ya, but sure is cold for my equine fellows.

Chewie's still behaving himself like a pure gentleman. He's starting to show ribs again, nothing too serious, but with the grass being froze & useless, I'm adding a large quantity of hay, trying to keep the calories in him. I don't want to increase grain if I can help it, since it'd just be a burst of energy. Thinking about putting warm-water soaked beet pulp back in his diet, since that's worked the past two winters. He's got blankets on when it's "cold" (hee hee hee), including his Sleezy "batman mask" face & neck cover. Poor guy just doesn't appreciate cold weather, and hates even more to be stalled when it's cold. He'll dig a hole in his stall walking circles if I stalled him.. brr... brr... shiver shiver...

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!