can i grow an orange tree indoors and get fruit?

Foreston, MN

can i grow an orange tree indoors and get fruit?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Kapr,
Sorry you haven't got an answer yet. I can't help because I have never grown one inside...I am sure that one of the others who are much more experienced than I will chime in soon.

Googled for info...I guess you have to polinate with a soft paintbrush in order to get fruit inside. Needs good light too...

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I brought my potted Seto Satsuma Mandarin orange tree inside several months ago when the weather started getting cooler and it already has a little orange on it. I placed it in front of a window where it would get plenty of sun, so far so good! I live in zone 7b.

Aloha bamagirl, welcome and thanks for the info, was it polinated while it was outside or did you polinate it? Bees do the job for us!

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

There are no other orange trees around in this area that I know of and I wouldn't have a clue as to how to pollinate it. My DH and I were both shocked to see the little orange on the tree. I bought it at a local K-Mart store at the end of the summer season when they were marking all of the plants down. It was such a good price that I couldn't resist.

Below is a picture of the orange on the tree. The picture is a little blurry, I'll try to take a better one tomorrow.

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973

Now that's really a nice bonus! Are you planning on putting it outside for the summer?

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I'll move it back outside this Spring after all danger of frost is over and will be keeping it in a pot instead of planting it in the ground. Hopefully I will have my greenhouse finished before the next winter and it will have a better place to stay. I love tropical plants so my greenhouse will be full of them!:0)

Wonderful! I am so glad you joined us - we are all tropical nuts here!
Jen

Tescott, KS(Zone 5b)

kapr, I have a potted Navel Orange that lives in the greenhouse. Last Spring I just used a paint brush to spread some of the pollen around.
Looks like these will be ready in time for Christmas :-)

Steve

Thumbnail by knnn
Foreston, MN

thanks everyone!

Aloha Steve, welcome! Your oranges do look like they will be ready for Christmas.

Tescott, KS(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the Welcome!
My kids have been watching these grow all year ,and will soon have some in their stockings on Christmas morning.

It's great to see all the photos and postings here, sure helps the Winter months pass a little quicker :-)

Steve

Milton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, I have a variegated calamondin orange in my south east window here in WI. I used a couple of oranges in my sauce for cornish hens w/orange sauce. It was yummy. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! Patty

Thumbnail by pattysplants
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Just thought that I would let everyone know that I put my Mandarin orange tree outside about a month ago and it has started blooming again. The strange thing is that the little orange that it had on it back in December is still hanging on?? It has gotten larger but is still green. Should I pull it off or just leave it there?

I am also thinking about repotting, when would be the best time to do this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wanda

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.