China Iris?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

OK so I was digging for this lady doen the way and she sent me home with China Iris. They have tiny roots just like a bearded, with med. heighth green leaves, look just like bigger Iris just smaller. I have never seen it bloom - ever and she could not tell me anything more then it was an Iris like flower. Grows in shade here, and does not take a lot of extra water in summer. She said it just dies down in summer and comes back in the Fall with the rains. She never waters anything more then she must - ever... so any ideas what in the world I have here?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've heard of Iris tectorum referred to as Chinese Iris, also sinosibs, and here's a place that refers to Iris pseudacorus as Chinese Iris,

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Perennials/I_files/I_Images/iris_pseudacorus.htm

I've also heard Iris pallida called China Iris.

If it grows in shade it might be Iris tectorum.

Maybe someone in your area will know what they locally call the China Iris, as I suspect it's a local name.

But if not, please post a picture of the rhizome, leaves, and blooms (when it does bloom), and I bet we can help.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Iris pallida are all green and white right? These are all green.

Iris tectorum looks like it really might be it - let me see if this is it once it blooms. Hers are very overcrowded and never bloom so I hope it will now that we thinned them out.It is in sun and shade but by far taller in the shade - much biger and better plants. I think we have a winner - just need to see the bloom.

Iris pseudacorus - I have these and this is not it by far.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

No, Iris pallida can be all green. Some have green and white leaves, some have yellow and green .

Iris tectorum could be it. They come in white, and purple, and variations of. It's a lovely iris, and if so, you have a nice one there. And they do tend to not bloom well when crowded.

Take a look at this website for Iris tectorum , and please do post a picture when it blooms. I would love to see it.

http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Iris-tectorum

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you - they look just like it will post image when they bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.