Compost pile heat

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

What is the optimum temperature for a compost pile? I bought a meat themometer, read the temperature of one of my piles and it was 132F. What temeperature is requried for killing seeds? What's your experience? Maybe my pile is too dry!

Dean_W

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 11:32 AM

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I read somewhere that 140 f will kill weed seed so long as the temperature is maintained for several days. But they didn't say how many days exactly.

Thanks, Zany! I'll have to read the temperature again after watering it down a little.

I measured the temp again it was 138F this time. Seemed a bit soggy after recent rains, no need to water it. Perhaps, I'll turn it some what to get it airated a bit.

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

Dean -- found this info on compost pile temp: "Decomposition occurs most rapidly between 110° to 160°F. " Sounds like your in the range.

Here's the link: http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/homecompost/building.html

michaljo,

Thanks for the link. I just thought a higher number might be better for killing weed seeds. I have more than one pile, 6 all together. Four of the others piles are cool. I'm going to add some more coffee and maybe some dried molasses, if I can find out where to buy it.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Dean, you should be able to find the dried molasses at any feed and grain store.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Iah am so proud of you, boy! You doin good!

I'm doing my best,doccat, I got another 15 bags of leaves if I want them. Only problem is I don't have any more space. Thanks Zany, I'll check the feed stores.

Dean ... take those leaves even if you have to pile them up next to your compost piles or a corner of your yard. They're good for mulch, making leaf mold and of course adding to the compost piles.

Yes indeedy, makee room Dean, you'll be glad you did!

Thanks, I'll go get them tommorrow. The votes have it! Yea, it is!

You got a weed whip or mower, can you chop some of those up and spread them out now? That should make you a bit more room.

doccat,

I got a mulching lawn mower that will diminish the mass somewhat.

Not a problem, it will help and you can spread those out almost anywhere. It still works like compost even if it isn't in the pile, cookin :)

I was only concerened about any weed seed it might introduce, from the people I got it from. I can always use some corn glutten and spread on top.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Due to lack of time, I have several bags still in bags, some with air holes, adding some water. Some have written about doing it that way all winter. I don't expect consistent heat, but they look like they're doing something. Tops get really warm in sun.

sally,

I also thought about that, composting right in the bags.

That will work too, same principles apply!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

My bags that were mowed grass and lots of chopped leaves got hot for awhile and have reduced by about 25%. I'm saving them & other bags of leaves for starting up the compost in the spring when browns are harder to get.

I guess I just slice some holes in the bags water, maybe add a little organic fertilizer (Dryed Molasses).

cathy,

Thats a good idea too. In spring the browns are hard to come by.

Dean, my sweet, you catch on fast! LOL

I'm a quick student! LOL!!!

Don't I know it! I'm proud of ya, bud!

I used a pitch fork to poke holes in my bags. They were sitting for a few weeks and when I opened them to add to the compost pile they were moist and warm. What is dry molasses and what does it do for compost?

Dry molasses is another kick starter for compost, michaeljo, like alfalfa pellets. You can get it at most feed and grain stores. It helps your compost break down more rapidly. You treat the garbage bag just like you do your regular pile. It's not going to break down as fast, but it will be a nice start for spring. You can use it like a "starter" batch. And you will have worms in the bags as well.

where do the worms come from in the bags?

They crawl thru the holes in the bags. Ah keep a tellin you gurl, you provide the goodies and the worms will come!

I didn't realize I was putting holes in the bottom, haven't had my tea yet, brain hasn't kicked in yet. geeez

Dried molasses is good stuff. I threw some on my pile when I initially started and there was a ton of worms on the bottom, when I turned it.

You are all lucky to live where there are feed and grain stores. The closest I can come to alfalfa pellets is a small bag of cubes at the pet store for $2.50.

In the past I bought mine from a place called Garden Ville, they sell mulches, compost, and organic stuff. Yes, those pet stores only carry the small bags of alfalfa pellets. You might call around to your local nursery's and find out if they carry it. You can also get the molasses in a liquid form concentrate and mix w/ water.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2007 2:38 PM

cathy,

Also try some of the big box stores, I know in my area, they are starting to carry organic stuff.

And don't be to shy to talk to the manager at that big box store about getting these things for you and others to buy.

Okay, now I got 30 bags of leaves, tommorow the real work begins. I'll start shredding a few bags and save some others for spring. Activation will begin too, w/ some molasses.

Dean, you are amazing, your yard will be in shock next spring! The only thing the big box stores around here are selling right now is Christmas stuff. HD didn't even have potting soil, heading to Lowes tomorrow if I can get DH to help me.

Good Luck!

Okay! I bought a 50lb bag of dried molasses, topped all the piles off w/ coffee grounds. After that I added four 16ounce cups full to each pile. The temperature today on the old pile measured 142F. I plan on an experiment, seeing if the molasses adds temp to the piles.

Any one know how much mollasses, I'm supposed to add? It didn't come with instructions, just pictures of various farm animals.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Cathy, you have half a dozen places near you, just not in Bridgetown proper .... http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=feed+store&near=Bridgeton,+MO&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=2

Ah, the power of the Internet.... >smile

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.