New Here

Wasilla, AK

Good Morning All, Thought I would tell you a bit about myself. I picked up the link to this board from a Alaska Member who posted in AKBirding. We are located between Palmer and Wasilla AK. about 40 miles north of Anchorage. The area is commonly called the valley. Pretty simply because it located in the Matanuska-Susitna valley. Im old enough to have retired for 5 years and dumb enough to have gone back to work last May.
Many folks bird for birding, I bird for photography. http://www.douglloydphotography.com/4436.html
I get around the state to bird a great deal May to October but once the fall migration is complete I don't venture far from our little piece of paradise to bird. I make a winter trip or two to Seward to get a little diversity in my winter birding and Homer for 4-5 days in March for Eagles.
Our Christmas Count is tomorrow and over the past few weeks this Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker has been coming to the house nearly daily. A very rare winter bird here in the winter. My fingers are Xed that he will make an apperance tomorrow. He came yesterday so we can get him in the count week at least. Now do I want to fiddle with the rare bird report.
Doug

Thumbnail by akdoug
Wasilla, AK

In this part of Alaska the bird diversity is very small in the winter months so we photo those species a lot. The Pine Grosbeaks are out finest splash of colors
Male
Doug

Thumbnail by akdoug
Wasilla, AK

In this part of Alaska the bird diversity is very small in the winter months so we photo those species a lot. The Pine Grosbeaks are out finest splash of colors
Female
Doug

Thumbnail by akdoug
Brainerd, MN

Nice pics and I like the commentary too.

Marlton, NJ

Welcome to Daves and the Bird Watching forum Doug!

Your photos are beautiful and I'll be sure to look through your site later today!

Pelle :-)

Melbourne, FL

Your Bald Eagle shots are wonderful....hope to see more of your photos on the Birdwatching Forum in the weeks and months to come.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Thank you for your post. Welcome, welcome, welcome!! We have yellow shafted northern flickers here but I haven't seen a pine grosbeak in a while.

Here is my excitement today. We finally got the feeders up. The chickadees, juncos, blue jays, crows, cardinals, tree sparrows, house sparrows, and gold finches were there in about half an hour after we set them up. But I was surprised to see these common redpoles.

Thumbnail by boojum
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Doug..Welcome! Your photos are too awesome! I love seeing birds that I didn't know existed!

Boojum..Nice shot of the Redpoles...I've never seen one of those either!

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations boojum!!!

Very nice pic!

Wasilla, AK

Thanks for the super welcomes. The good news is the flicker was here a bit ago on the front feeders and there must be 30 Common redpolls on the back feeders.
Love them polls
Doug

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Odd for the flicker to be wintering so far north. Definitely worth filling in that rarity report form!

Resin

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I agree, I think you should report it. None of my books show flickers in AK. One more of a redpole.

Thumbnail by boojum
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

On the subject of out-of-range wintering, this Short-toed Lark has been wintering in my area, finally got round to going to see it today, 3 weeks after it first appeared.

It should be in tropical Africa at the moment!

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Marlton, NJ

Wow thats interesting!

Nice pic Resin!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Welcome Doug! Your photos are fantastic and Toots looks like such a sweetheart!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Doug,

Welcome to Dave's Garden. You do indeed live in a photographer's paradise. I have visited your website and it can be described with one word - professional. Particularly alluring are are your Landscapes, Bald Eagles and the Aurora Borealis phenomena.

I, too, retired nearly five years ago. But, smartly, I am still retired (lol). Frankly, I don't know how I ever had time for work.

I look forward to many more of your fantastic photos.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I agree with Linthicum, your photoes were fabulous. Nice pictures of Mooses there too.
And so are the ones here too.

Marlton, NJ

Just looked through some of your site Doug and the photography is amazing!

Danvers, MA

Absolutely beautiful!

Welcome Doug. Looking forward to seeing even more of your photos.

~Shan

Hebron, KY

Welcome Doug!

Very nice pics everyone!

Doug, I've been looking at your photos on the link you posted. Great shots, great pics! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of it!

Marilyn

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Fantastic shots! Love the eagles.

Welcome to DG. I'm sorta new here too. I've been reg'd a couple months, but just discovered the bird forum last week.

Hebron, KY

PeeperKeeper,

Welcome! Glad to have you!

Marilyn

Brainerd, MN

Nice shot of the lark Resin. Another bird I didn't know existed.

Goldsboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Doug, I loved your pics! Hubby and I just moved from Eagle River about two months ago and I never saw birds like that in our yard.

As a side note, since you love photographing the bald eagles, did you know that the VFW in ER feeds the bald eagles in the winter time? It is usually on the weekends but sometimes they do it every day. It is quite a sight to see dozens of bald eagles flying around at the same time.

Celeste

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.