Carrie's Cranberries

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Carrie:

Great article!!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/315/

You write very well. Thanks for the information you provided for all of us!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Great job Carrie!! Loved the article and all the info!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Interesting essay!
Are you familiar with the dried commercial variety called "Craisins"?
My wife often uses them in baked goodies.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I looooooooove cranberries!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like cranberries. Used to go by the big cranberry bogs during the summer west of here.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Really informative article. Very well done! :)

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Great job, Carrie! Very informative, interesting and helpful!! Bravo!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Carrie - loved the article!! Very well written and informative. I also enjoyed reading your biography!! I have my degree in Music Ed. and my major was piano. I could accompany you while you sing!! My DD#1 and I have a sensitiviy to gluten (test results for celiac came back negative, but......) and I also have a wheat free/gluten free kitchen!! Eleanor

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Carrie, loved your article but never have liked cranberries (I'm a fussy eater...just can't warm up to some flavors). And I so love music, but alas, I come from a family of Johnny-one-notes. The one talent I always wished for was a singing voice, or even just the ability to sing on key. I took cello lessons for several years in grammar school and enjoyed it but I'm certain I have no talent for it. And DH bought me a beautiful piano. Although I can I pick out little tunes and even play some 'two-handed', I sound like a 8yo at a recital. So we bought a player piano! So I am jealous of both you and Eleanor.

I was just in a Secret Santa swap and my giftee has to have gluten-free treats, so I remembered a Scottish friend making rice shortbread years ago and how good it was. You both probably have all kinds of recipes, but this was really good

Melt-in-your-Mouth Shortbread
Gluten Free Recipe
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing confectioners' sugar
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup butter
Directions:
Sift cornstarch, sugar and rice flour together.
Add butter.
Mix with hands until soft dough forms. Refrigerate one hour.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
Place about 1-1/4 inches apart on greased cookie sheet; flatten with lightly floured fork. Bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Variations:
Form balls as above. Roll in finely crushed corn flakes or crushed nuts. Press top of ball with thumb. Add a dab of jelly.
Mix in 2 tablespoons finely chopped peel and/or 2 tablespoons finely chopped nuts. Flatten with lightly floured fork

I actually rolled them out 1/2 inch thick and cut them with a small cookie cutter. then I brushed them with melted bittersweet chocolate with a little shortening mixed in. Believe me, you don't have to be gluten-free to enjoy these.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Jan - I'm always looking for recipes!! Eleanor

Great article. It made the weekly newsletter!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Carrie,

I really enjoyed your article on cranberries. I wrote out a mile long post on one of the threads to the article. I don't know what in the world happened to it, but it's gone.

Short version of the post I'd written:

I love fresh cranberries. So much so that one year when cranberries were in short supply, none could be found, other than the high $ organic cranberries. I gladly paid big bucks for 2 itty bitty baskets of them rather than to use canned cranberry sauce. This year after Thanksgiving, I bought 5 bags and put them in the freezer. I am never going to take a chance on not having them fresh again!

Thanks for all of the interesting info that you posted about them. I learned much from your article!

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.