Daily Pics Vol. 40

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Jane, really like your hawk coolage. I need to play around with that on the editing program!

Great pics everyone, as usual!!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Adel...I would faint and fall back in it if I ever saw that many quail at one time. I love them and have only seen a few here in Mo.

Hebron, KY

Adel,

Great pics of all your birds! Love the Quail! Cute!
Looks like one of the Jays is trying to stuff two peanuts in his beak! LOL

Jane,

Great pics!

Debnes,

Great pics of the Shrike!

Klamath River, CA

Marilynbeth..........The Scrub Jays will carry off two at a time quite often. The Stellers will swallow them whole on the spot and then grab another to fly off with.

Klamath River, CA

dellrose.......this is the front yard flock, the flock that hangs out in the back is at least twice this size. Where we used to live we had a flock that numbered somewhere near a hundred.and we didn't feed the birds in those days, but like here we were surrounded by trees and brush.

OMG, they can swallow them whole!!!!???? They sure are pretty birds. I think Quail are really cute too!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Need an ID Please ... Any idea what type of bird this one is?

Loggerhead Shrike - note that the black eye mask extends across the lower forehead just above the bill (it doesn't in Northern Shrike)
Quoting:
I'm pretty sure this one is a Great White Heron (e.g the White Morph of the Great Blue Heron) as opposed to an Egret

Sorry, no; it's Great Egret. Note the black legs (yellow-grey on Great White Heron)
Quoting:
This Rough-Legged Hawk put on quite a show soaring around in circles looking for something to eat

No black terminal band on the tail, which is also slightly rufous from above - I'm thinking Red-tailed or perhaps Ferruginous Hawk.
Quoting:
Here's a picture of a hawk I took last week. I named this collage "Ready .. Set ... Go!"

That one's definitely Red-tailed.

Resin

This message was edited Dec 14, 2007 9:06 PM

Klamath River, CA

nanny_56 not a very good pic, but this Steller's (the one in the forefront) is swallowing a whole peanut.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Quoting:
The Stellers will swallow them whole on the spot and then grab another to fly off with

Quoting:
OMG, they can swallow them whole!!!!????

Only stored temporarily in their 'pouch' . . . they take them away and hide them for a rainy day. When eating peanuts, they discard the husks and just eat the nuts.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

LOL, Someone please tell me if you can find Great White Heron here at Cornell.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/

Am I missing something or are they? (meaning Cornell)

Sorry Jane this is the reason why I said it was the other.

Here (see end of first paragraph):
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Great_Blue_Heron.html

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Geez no wonder I couldn't find it! Thanks Resin!

Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Enjoying the water.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful photo Marilyn_FL!!!

That is just unreal about the steller's!

Marilyn_FL, that is a very peaceful looking scene. I miss seeing robins.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Had a flock of birds

Thumbnail by debi_k
Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

It is pouring down rain with sleet and snow mixed in, yet, I've never seen so much bird activity at one time!! Does this mean we're going to be blasted with snow and everyone is stocking up? The birds are all over the back yard and, I wish I could have snapped off a good shot of the bradford pear in the front yard where I have my nutty logs and suet hanging because it was standing room only!!

I did manage to get this shot, though.

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

here's another one, not so great because it's so dark, but it gives you an idea of all the birds out there.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

This titmouse actually stayed still long enough for me to get this shot.

Thumbnail by bebop2

last picture I was able to take before the battery died....
funny, I've seen tons of sparrows, a downy, a rbw, mourning doves, eastern towhee, chickadee, tons of cardinals, but no Jays, titmouse or wbn. What gives?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Indiana_lily, I love the way you captured the rain dripping from the branches all around the cardinal.
I posted this one to the Photo Forum but thought you all would like it. Look at how this downy is holding onto the opening for the seeds on the feeder with his claw.

Thumbnail by bebop2

Awesome shots bebop!! I love the downy!!
Thanks much about the cardinal shot -- that was luck!! I wish my batteries would hurry up and charge because it's getting brighter out and the birds are still in full force. I've never seen a downy and a rbw the same time until just now, and I'm dying cause I can't take a picture.
I'm going to have to get brave, get dressed and fill the feeders up again in the back yard. Wish I could get some good shots out back, but the feeders are too far away. :(

Brainerd, MN

I missed so many pics this week. Nice to scroll through this morning! Great shots everybody.

Marlton, NJ

debilu, Thats quite a flock of birds!

indiana, Beautiful birds! We'll get that same weather tonight!

bebop, Very nice downy and TT shots!

Thanks Pelle! We aren't quite sure what we are getting today, tonight and tomorrow. They do know that we are getting 2 - 3 inches of rain before it changes over to something, be it sleet or snow, and that will continue through tomorrow afternoon. I guess the birds know more than the forecasters do!!

This is so cute. Smart little sparrow taking shelter on my car tire from the rain while waiting for the feeders to free up....

Eastern towhee in the pouring down rain. For some reason, I have such a hard time getting a picture of these guys!!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thanks Adelbert, the Stellar's is a very sharp eyed bird! I notice many of the virds in the US hae a crest on their heads.

I love the expression of the titmouse bebop, the black area around the eye makes it look like it has huge eyes.

Many of you look to be in terrible weather, not so good here either but not raining or snowing. It only got to 34F and very dull, now feels really icy, it was down to -4C(25F) last night in the greenhouse so lower outside.

No new pics, the birds are conserving their energy and it's too dull anyway. I got pics of 2 Wood Pigeons in the oaks at the back 3 days ago, my babies will be growing up now so these could be them. They don't quite look like big mature WPigeons.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The other one, fluffed to keep warm but looks to have cold toes.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics guys!

indiana, we're only supposed to get 1 inch of snow followed by alot of rain.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

My jaw is dropping from all these wonderful pics!

Today is very nasty...no sun, sleet and snowstorm on the way. Our birds are on a feeding frenzy and see to be everywhere! I managed to lean out the bathroom window and get a few shots!

This little Junco has sleet on it's tail...poor thing!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

An Immature White Crowned Sparrow relaxing on the fence. Icicles are starting to form.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This Mourning Dove was high in the tree when I caught it with the feathers fluffed!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Quoting:
Had a flock of birds

Starlings

Resin

Marlton, NJ

I couldn't get any really good shots today but I had 2 of the Downy that I thought were cute.

First one of him checking out his favorite suet (almond).

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Caught him in mid jump to it.

Thumbnail by pelletory
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I like the jump Pelle!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Good shot Pelle!

Klamath River, CA

New bird...Cedar-Waxwing ? Lousy weather and lousy lighting but my first sighting of Cedar-Waxwings.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

++++

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

++++++++

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.