Various Photos From Our Yard

Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics Marilyn!! Love the female Red-bellied Woodpecker.

The pic of the Downy and Hairy is a nice one in showing the size difference between the two.

Hebron, KY

Thanks Pelle!

Hebron, KY

A male RBW on top of the nutty pb post looking in to see what goodies there are to munch on! At different times, I add some fresh raw peanuts and/or some of those peanut butter suet balls for birds in the center section on top in addition to the Jif nutty pb on side(s) of post every day.

Taken 12/2/05 1:39 pm

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 5:18 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Male RBW 12/2/05 1:40 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another pic of the male RBW

12/2/05 1:40 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Looking in again! I also add the nutty pb on the other side of post at the top, he may be munching on that. Male RBW.

12/2/05 1:40 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

A different shot (photo) of the female RBW about ready to nab the peanuts at the end of her beak.

3/10/05 10:14 am

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Female RBW sitting on tree limb (branch).

3/10/05 10:12 am

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Female RBW looks like she has pb on the roof of her beak that she's trying to get rid of! LOL!

3/10/05 10:19 am

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another shot of the female RBW with her head turned while on nutty pb post.

3/10/05 10:14 am

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Brainerd, MN

I love the Red-bellied Woodpecker - always - but I envy you the Rose Breasted Grosbeak. I miss seeing them so much. I have seen one female here and my husband has seen the male one time. I think I saw him too - or did I dream it?

Thanks for starting this thread. You have so much going on that I can really spend time with now!

:)

Hebron, KY

Thanks Sybil!

You might want to consider to have extra BOSS daily in your feeders during the Spring and Fall migrations. They like the platforms feeders I have here and I've added more feeders (lol, as you know), so I hope to see more of them.

Hebron, KY

Female RBW in a flying shot. 3/10/05 10:13 am

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Female Downy on nutty pb post.

3/8/05 10:11 am

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 6:17 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another photo of the female Downy.

3/8/05 10:11 am

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Female Downy. Looks like she's about to get some pb! Or, she's already has some in her beak!

3/8/05 10:12 am

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 6:35 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Closeup of female Downy.

2/25/05 9:18 am

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Cute and adorable shot of a Goldfinch on a BOSS feeder.

1/8/07 1:32 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Marilyn.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Marilyn, What a treat to visit your yard and see all of your sweet birds. You have been doing this for a long time and I hope in time I can lure more to my feeders. I did a bad today and spent a fortune on new feeders, new feed, lots of suet and treat blocks and a new shepherd's hook! I think you are a bad (but good) influence on me! LOL!
Thank you for sharing your birds with us!

Rose

Hebron, KY

Thanks Pelle!

Hebron, KY

Rose,

LOL!

Of course, I'm a good influence! All of us bird watchers are a good influence! ;-)

Sounds like you had fun today buying bird watching stuff! Can't wait to see what you got!

Thanks Rose!

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 11:32 PM

Hebron, KY

Male Cardinal munching on BOSS.

1/8/07 1:12 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Mockingbird 1/8/07 3:05 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Dee on a seed block feeder getting a snack.

1/10/07 2:10 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Dee sitting on top of the seed block feeder.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another shot of the Dee sitting on top of the seed block feeder.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Dee on seed block feeder getting ready to take off and a male Cardinal in background.

1/10/07 2:11 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Two Dees. One on top of the post and the other getting a BOSS.

1/10/07 2:12 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Dee 1/9/07 3:01 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Mr. Towhee and a female Cardinal.

1/9/07 3:01 pm

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

This is a different kind of 'bird'. LOL! This is the type of jet DH flies for an airline at the local/international airport. Thought you'd like to see it. It holds 50 passengers and a crew of 3. DH is a Captain for airline.

Photo taken 1/8/07 3:36 pm from our back yard. Jet is downwind for base to the airport. We live a few miles from the airport.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 12:16 AM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We had RBG's here this past summer. We had never seen one before. It was a wow moment! I can't wait till next spring and I hope I can get a pic.

correcting typo's!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 7:46 PM

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Marilyn, thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. One question...do you have a lot of squirrels around? If we smeared peanut butter on a tree stump or post they would monopolize it. We finally had to get a squirrel-proof pole and hang 4 feeders just to make sure the birds got some too. Last year was the first time we had a RBW hanging around and I would love to offer him peanut butter! The rose breasted grosbeaks arrive here every June and hang around most of the summer. They are so dazzling. You got some really nice pics of them.

Hebron, KY

Bebop,

Yes, unfortunately the squirrels are a problem. We get alot of them, the grey esp., and the reddish-brown ones are here 365 days every year. :-(

They get on, as we refer to it as, 'the peanut butter post' and we have to scare them off, but then the birds scatter a bit too. Squirrels climb the feeder posts (we need to get more baffels and have one for every post) and we do the same thing, scare them away. Doesn't last long, because the darn squirrels are back on the peanut feeder, peanut butter post and the hanging tray platform feeders of BOSS.

I feed the birds on the ground too every day and usually the squirrels eat there. I have mixed seed and also BOSS. I want to make sure that the ground feeding birds get something to eat.

Hebron, KY

A photo I took yesterday of a Hairy (it looks like) on one of the peanut feeders, a Downy waiting for its turn and House Finch looking around.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Oops! Wrong photo! That is a Tufted Titmouse (above).

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Danvers, MA

LOL Marilyn... I actually knew what you were talking about! My BF is an Aviation Maintenance Tech. He works on business jets at the local Base. We can't drive by an airport without stopping in.

Great pics!

Wasilla, AK

Catching the hairy and downy on the same log is just excellent. I shoot both of them for many years and only captured a couple shots with both showing.
Doug

Hebron, KY

Thanks Shannon and Doug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.