Potted Rosemary plants

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

On Thanksgiving, I purchased a beautiful 16" potted Rosemary plant for some friends. I know it likes an arid enviroment, sandy well-drained soil and lots of water. So far, it's doing well for them, and they'd like to plant it outside once the seasons take their turn for warm weather.
Is this possible, and should they re-pot it? It's in an 8" pot and has not had any die-back or browning of the branches, but they are watering and draining it everyday and would really like to put it outside if it survives. Thanks, Leslie

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I bought one about that size at the supermarket in March of 2006. Put it out that summer in a 12" pot, then brought it inside. It flowered last Christmas (small blue blossoms) then all the needles dropped off and it appeared dead. Came back slowly this summer. Brought it inside a month ago and it looks better than it did outside. About to flower again I think.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I just killed the second one in a month - I'm treating rosemary and an annual from now on!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted one outside, didn't try to over winter indoors. Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

My wife has had a rosemary in a 10" clay pot (indoors) for several years. Seems to do fine in a west-facing window. I water it once a week.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Leslie! I was able to keep my rosemary in a terra cotta pot for several years in New England by bringing it inside around the middle of October and placing it in a sunny window through the winter. I had to make sure to mist it but not to overwater it. Once a week was fine. One year I decorated it like a small Christmas tree. This year I brought part of it down to Fla. with me in October and it is doing well here planted outside in the sandy soil. The rosemary that I planted here last winter did very well through the summer and looked great when I got here in Oct.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

ok, i am dying to know how you got the little flowers icon under your name - i have noticed several people with them...

(my rosemary's never flowered.)

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

The flower icon is in memory of my beloved husband, Frank....click on it. Leslie

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Very nice, Frankay!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm plant sitting my Mom's rosemary tree this winter. She does not have much luck with them. I've read that they like to be dry (originally from a mediterannean climate) and warm - does that jive with what the rest of you have experienced?
Thanks!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Yes, Tamberlin, but I wouldn't let it dry out too much. I had good luck keeping mine near a bright window, but not in too much direct sunlight. I misted it occasionally and watered it when the soil felt really dry. Good luck!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Alas, one of my heartbreaks... I had bought a medium sized Rosemary when I first moved to LI, (the same year in fact). My neighbor told me I could overwinter it outdoors as long as it did'nt get too much wind. I gave it fertilizer & it grew nicely that year, to a 2 1/2' little bush. In the spring it was... well, you know the rest.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Gosh, WC, that's really tragic - after all of that good care!! Did your neighbor have some axe to grind with you??? LOL

No, she is a very nice one actually, I couldnt ask for a better neighbor. Just not as experienced as I assumed. ☺

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Good to hear. We are blessed with such great neighbors, and it can make all the difference in quality of life where you live, huh?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

((((Leslie)))) I'm so sorry about Frank. I hope that you were able to get through the holidays without too much pain.

xoxo
w

... it makes the difference in the quality of life of anyone, regardless of where, on this Earth. You see we are all neighbors, and though it would be self-gratifying to an extent, we cant choose/ guarantee who are neighbors are/ will be. That holds true regardless of wealth or status. Things change... everywhere, always, unexpectedly. ☺

* corrected mispelled -guarantee-

This message was edited Jan 6, 2008 10:01 PM

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Yes Leslie...
When you answered my question, i went right to the thread and read so many wonderful things about Frank - i am sorry i never knew him... then i felt really embarrassed that i asked such a silly question, so i didn't say anything... But i am glad i got the opportunity to read about him, and the lovely memories he has left in so many people's hearts...
i am truly sorry for your loss.

amy

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have had much better luck with rosemary plants since I leaned to keep them moist. No overwatering, but don't let them dry out. I do keep them in a sunny window as well. I am still using last year's(2006) little rosemary Christmas tree today.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

Thanks, all!
Diane and Rick's rosemary plant continues to do well. They have it in an east window, and they water it daily by putting it in the sink, watering, then letting it drain. The room where they have it has a big stone fireplace about 15' away from the slider. Because they use the fireplace daily, the rosemary gets dry.
It seems to be holding it's own, but they would like to plant it outside when the warm weather comes. Leslie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.