These came with a bulk purchase of plants.

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi I need someone to name these dried out flowers.

Would you happen to know what they are?

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't, but you would think with that leaf arrangement and stem shape it should be distinguishable.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The stems look square to me--is that correct? With that plus the whorled arrangement around the stem it tells me it's something in Lamiaceae. You might try it in the ID forum, I think you'd have more luck there.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

The only thing I could think of it a basil flower stalk. Lamiaceae sounds like a good choice too ecrane.

Thanks Everyone,

I will look under that name then if I can't find anything, I will post under ID Forum.

Thks Heaps,

Debi

This is futher away pic.

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This is my only guess.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/171310/

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

It almost looks like a salvia coccinea I had this year.

Monroe Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

That looks like Salvia 'Purple Knockout'. Nice purple leaf color, but found it to be very invasive.

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for your help.

I do not want to plant anything that could become invasive.

So I think I will throw them out.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Debi

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think it's a Salvia--Patrick made a good observation on your other thread in the ID forum that would rule out any sort of Salvia http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4301657

Mesilla Park, NM

they look like basil seedpods to me also. crush the pods and see if you get any ordor/fragrance.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Was this question ever resolved? I agree, they look like basil to me. Which basil? Smell would be one clue ( lemon basil cinnamon basil, etc.). Color appears to have been green not purple. But the exact variety might not be determinable unless you grow it.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Square stems a characteristic of the mint family, but the flowers have me stumped.

(Zone 6a)

what about jerusalem sage? it has whorls of flowers around the stem like that.

Steven

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately the whorls of flowers is a characteristic of the whole Lamiaceae family (along with having square stems). Jerusalem sage is in that family, as are salvia, mint, basil, and many, many, many others. Over on the ID forum paalexan thought it was some sort of basil, he really knows plants very well so I suspect that's probably what it is, although I don't think he was able to figure out which species based on these pics.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I vote you plant a seed or two and see what comes up... I personally couldn't resist the mystery. If you are worried it will be invasive, pot it up until you know for sure what it is!

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh where, Oh where can Degarotty be? Oh where, Oh where can she be? (come on guys, sing along with)

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Definitely a basil. Which variety? I know not.

http://pharm1.pharmazie.uni-greifswald.de/systematik/7_bilder/yamasaki/yamas270.jpg

(Zone 6a)

I agree! If theres any seeds pot a couple up!
Mysteries are always fun!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I agree they look like basil seeds....You won't really know which until they come up. Cinnamon and Thai basil will come up with purplish stems. If it's African Blue Basil, the seeds are sterile and won't come up at all. Lemon basil usually has taller thinner seed stems. It could be normal sweet basil (genovese), but not spicey globe basil, as those stems are very short and petite.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.