fake pineapple

St John, VI

Hi All,
We live in St. JOhn USVI and we see lots of agave plants. We have a lot of trouble here with the goats. There are a few plants that can keep goats out of your property. One of these is the common name - fake pineapple. This looks like an ordinary aloe plant, but grows clusters of balls in the middle of the very prickly leaves that are stacked and are the shape of a pine tree.
Anyone out there know how to propagate this plant?
thanks

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha, can't seem to google this plant - all I come up with is plastic fruit! Can you take a picture of the plant to help us?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Oh yes, please...sounds great!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

A picture would definitely help!! I can't find anything either.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

You think it might be an aloe....or an Opuntia?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Could it be this plant which is very thorny and not a true pineapple?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/167763/

Dallas, TX

I do'nt know if this helps. Picture on left was sold as a " fake pineapple" name= P. ananus lucidus striata. It is variegated and has thorns on both sides of leaf ( leaf is that the right description )? Hope this helps in some way. Jerry

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

Make that the left front.Sorry. Jerry

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Jerry, those are some really nice plants!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Whoa Jerry, beautiful lil' corner of your garden!
Jen

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

What is the plant growing in with the plant in the pot on the right? We have the same foliage growing in with our pineapple tops also! It was a volunteer....just showed up one day!

Very curious what that vine / plant is! Thanks!

This message was edited Jan 14, 2008 11:56 PM

Looks like lobelia.

Dallas, TX

Texasgal77, The plant on the right is ( variegated wild sisal ) so says the tag. from Homedepot. The little tree is a hibiscus. The bushy plant in pot is ( summer pansy ). The varig. plant upper right is ( stuttgart canna ) with bad sun burn. Here is a pic. of the hib. Jerry

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.